cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help from other oldies please - Edit found it

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Help from other oldies please - Edit found it

I have just been tidying the workbench in the garage and found all sorts of interesting things including various spark plugs which don't fit anything, a brake bleeding pipe, gasket for an oil filter, oil filter removal chain, a rotor arm from God knows where, a set of points of indeterminate age, a bicycle chain splitter and the thing shown below which is about 70mm long.
It appears to be a device for pushing out out a pin but I have no idea whether it is for a bicycle or a car or even a lawnmower.
Can anyone help
Edit - Google is your friend
Pyramid Crank Extractor Bike Bicycle Tool Repair
21 REPLIES
Heloman
Grafter

Re: Help from other oldies please - Edit found it

Bingo!
I've got one of those in my (rarely used ) toolbox.
Often wondered what it was. Now I remember. Daughter had a problem with her bike when she was a teenager. She left home years ago - in her 30's now!
Thanks Jim........
Community Veteran

Jim, If you are asking for help from the oldies don't use those milly metric thingys measurements. Inches please
Community Veteran

Its a dudakapivey it connects to a thingey magig but you do need a ugmflop to get it to work and a whatdumcalit as well.
I thought everyone new that
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not to mention the oojar you need, but have lost, to make the watsit work!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: Santiago
Jim, If you are asking for help from the oldies don't use those milly metric thingys measurements. Inches please

I'm in my fifties - so not young, but have used those milly metric things all my working life - we were taught metric in the school in the 60's, and at college used metric throughout.
Britain started going metric in the 1860's and as usual have made a mess of it. We keep on keeping hold of the old units because it's difficult for older people to adapt. If it had be done correctly by the Metrication board back in the 70's we would have completely ditched imperial long ago.
Wink Smiley
Moggy
Grafter

Mal08,
I hope you don't include pints as a unit to get rid of, what would you do in a pub! And anyway who wants to be European? How would you measure a cricket pitch? All those cars that would need new speedo's. I could go on.... an on... and on...
Mal08
Rising Star

Firstly - being metric doesn't make you any more European than you may be already, the vast majority of the world use metric - except for the USA - or didn't you notice any of the Olympics :-)
The problem is the issue has got caught up in politics - and associated with the EU.

The pint class can stay :-) - even if the contents is strictly speaking a metric quantity ( 0.57litres ) . And who gets a full pint anyway - and not some foam !. More importantly we should get lined glasses back - with a line at the Pint/0.57lt level :-)
Many many many countries did the change without too much hastle - including all the old Commonwealth countries, including many poorer countries.
Cars have had kp/h markings for  many many years - or at least all the ones I have driven.
Maybe the Brits should stop being so parochial and stop thinking we are the centre of the world :-)
cp:quote
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

We changed from buying petrol in gallons to buying it in litres some time ago.
As a recall, there was a danger that petrol might go past the £1 per gallon mark - causing problems for the petrol pump displays.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

When I was at university in 1961/64 we used imperial mostly but also the CGS (centimetre, gram, second) system and the MKS (metre, kilogram, second) system When I started work in engineering design the calculations were all in imperial but the units depended on the value. For example pressure was usually in lbs/sq in and stress in tons/sq inch. The reason for this was very simple. All the calculations were done using a slide rule and it was a great advantage to avoid excessively large or small numbers. It was in the mid seventies when we made the decision to go SI as we were using calculators by then. I remember that on one project the calculations were all in imperial up to that date and in SI subsequently (it provided a useful check).
As a matter of interest the engineers I worked with in France 5 years ago, although they were supposed to use newtons as measure of force, always used decanewtons as that was about the same as kg force.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Mal08
Maybe the Brits should stop being so parochial and stop thinking we are the centre of the world :-)

Don't be so hard on we genuine oldies. Its not a case of being parochial!
I never met anything metric until well into adulthood. Certainly it wasn't even mentioned in school......
Once you've used one system for so long you tend to visualise things (weights, measurements etc)  in those units and changing ain't easy.
Even to this day when hearing the weather forecast I have to change Celsius into Fahrenheit to know just how hot/cold it's going to be  Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

I think there are quite a lot of niche areas where even the continentals use imperial units. In archery, for example, bow draw weights are still measured in pounds and lengths in inches.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When you go to B&Q for a length of timber to make supports for shelves.....
what do you ask for?   
"Three pieces of 2" by  2"  (2by2) about 10 feet long, Please...."
What do you get? 
"Sorry mate we only sell it in metric..... what was it again?  ah yes, 2 by 2, about 3 metres in length .... ok mate... here you are !" Cheesy
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: Heloman

Don't be so hard on we genuine oldies. Its not a case of being parochial!

Sorry - nothing personal  Smiley - if the Government finished the job in the seventies - like they did in many other countries - a substantial proportion of the people in UK would not have the confusion of two systems. Whenever it was done - there would always be a section of the community that would find it less easy - instead we still have the mishmash . I mean even young mothers still seem to talk about weight of babies in pounds - even when the hospital weigh them on metric only scales !.
Community Veteran

What about driving on the right side of the road?  Guess we'll never see that.  Can you imagine the cost involved?