Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, good evening and welcome.

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

No, not the indomitable David Frost c1960s but my habit of being polite to our new Portal mini by saying "please" and "thank you" every time I talk to it.

Am I the only one?

Not something I would ever have bought for myself as it seemed like going over to the dark side of constant surveillance, but because of these restrictive lockdowns our kids bought us one for Christmas so the very least I can do is give it a go but crikey blimey o'reilly, it's going to take some getting used to - especially that habit of being polite to it.

It really is all very disturbing. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
10 REPLIES 10
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

Re: Hello, good evening and welcome.

I thought you were going to post a link to one of his interviews there, @Minivanman 😁

I won't have one of those things in this house - I was offered my mums Alexa when she passed away, but declined it as I dislike any outside agency having access to my home, however 'benign' it's supposed to be.

John
Aspiring Legend

Oh I agree totally @jab1 and our TV Alexa on the remote was disabled as was the one on my Kindle and Cortana on my laptop. These things seem to be everywhere but as said, because of lockdown and the fact that the kids bought it for us... 

We'll see how it goes, but I do feel like I'm being obliged to sell my soul to the devil.

Hero
Fixes: 5

@jab1 wrote:

I won't have one of those things in this house - ...

Likewise @jab1 

I hadn't heard of the device mentioned so I Googled it to have my suspicions confirmed.

Apparently there's a red light which illuminates (as a warning?) when the camera and microphone are switched OFF.  Surely that should be the other way around, i.e. as a warning that the camera and microphone are ON!!!  Roll_eyes

Aspiring Legend

There is a slide switch on top that covers the camera but you are right, the other way around would make more sense but I guess it makes it seem more benign? 

Seasoned Hero

Yep, @RobPN  - it should be lit when on, unlit when off, but these intrusive devices seem to be designed to persuade you they should be on, rather than off, unless you need them.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Red light warning you it is switched off  ? ? ?    

even more sneaky than telling you that it is listening and passing on all the gossip to an external agency somewhere....

Of course... You only found out about that Red warning light by reading the manual.... "How many people don`t read it" and assume that it just means that the thing is working......... ? ? ? ? if it`s not on, then they move the switch and it lights up..

Signs of relief......  .." ah... yes... it`s working now."...! ! !

Sneaky... !

Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

No manual as such, just two very tiny pages in one of those mini multi language note book things. 

Seasoned Hero

@shutter I very rarely read manuals, unless there is something I can't figure out for myself, but strangely, I always check what any indicators are supposed to 'indicate'. This info is usually near the front of the manual, so easy to find.

John
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@shutter 

No manual as such, just two very tiny pages in one of those mini multi language note book things. 

Properly translated from Chinese hopefully, @Minivanman 😁

John
Aspiring Legend

@jab1 

Guess it's the age we live in when most devices are deemed to be intuitive with left, right, top, down finger swipes but even so those symbols do confuse me somewhat. 

As for that Portal I'm thinking the maybe these lockdowns are going to herald the age of such things. How much in the past have we rejected initial only to embrace them eventually and no defence being offered, just an acceptance.

Colour television? Nah never catch on, and if that 200 ton Jumbo jet ever makes it into the air I'll eat my hat!