cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello,caller,your data download has cost £5000: omg

thisoldman
Grafter

Hello,caller,your data download has cost £5000: omg

A neighbour has just given me a copy of this week's sunday times,which does not allow on line reading unless you are a subscriber, so i can not give you a quick link.
on Page 15  is a story by Hussain  and Grimston about using a smartphone abroad to access data can incur rip off charges.
Some of the following points caught my eye.
hundreds of shocked phone users with average bills or £5-6000, have complained to consumer watchdogs after being caught out by phone companies high charges for d/loads whilst abroad.
The problem has been worsened by the new generation of smartphones,many of which automatically download emails and and update applicaions every time they are switchd on.this means consumers ften run up bills of thousands of pounds, without realising they have done so.
One consumer was charged 23000 because of an app that continuously downloaded data withut the user's knowledge during a trip abroad.
Unlike charges for calls and textx, which accumulate only whilst the phone is being used,charges for data can add up without the owner noticing,because emails and some data such as the users location are automatically updated.Google Android phones also automatically update apps such as weather,news and facebook,thus accelerating the unknown user costs.
So be aware of this problem.

automatic updates    weather    5kb
                                      facebook 40kb
                                      google 725kb
                                      10 emails 1mb
                                      app store 1mb
                                      twitter 4mb

cost per mb £8  so every time yu use the phone you immediately incur £54.16
easy to see how gary stevens from newport ran up a bill of 5000 on a 10 day holiday.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Hello,caller,your data download has cost £5000: omg

Except all European mobile operators now impose a block at €50 of roaming data and you have to specifically call them to remove this block.  This has been in effect since July last year
See http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/01/mobile_data_roaming_round_up/
B.

Fixes: 105

Also a lot of smartphones using android come with data roaming switched off as a default...
Will Moderate For Thanks
thisoldman
Grafter

well i dont use a mobile so its not going to be a prob for me but out of morbid curiosity do any pc apps download updates without our knowledge Wink and which apps are best avoided?
gswindale
Grafter

Depends a lot on your settings.
Windows for instance can either
download & install updates automatically
download & notify before installing
notify that updates are available to be downloaded & installed
Do absolutely nothing.
Adobe apps have similar settings I believe.
If you're concerned - take the cable out from your ADSL splitter and lose the internet.