Rising Star

Helicopter crash in London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21040313
Area I used to visit a lot at one time.
Two dead
42 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Helicopter crash in London

I was watching it on the news this morning. Very confused reporting at the time understandably.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Knowing how busy that road junction can be it's lucky that there aren't more casualties.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Luckily a meeting I was supposed to be going to in London today was cancelled. I'd have been on a train going through Vauxhall station at about 8:05.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And I only work about 20 mins away from Victoria station, so I'm not that far.
Just looking on BBC News and it does look like there could be ground casualties.
nadger
Rising Star

For about ten years I dealt with a firm in the arches under Vauxhall station and was there once a week  - not this early in the day.
They think that some people are walking wounded.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Be interesting to see the risk assessment for a building that tall, that close to Battersea heliport flight path.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

Heli Pilots are advised of the details of obstructions such as this around London.
Gary Slater, a helicopter pilot with more than 20 years experience, told the BBC these sorts of accidents in the UK are extremely rare. He said: "There are specific heli-routes running across London, it is a very controlled area, probably one of the safest in the world in my opinion.
"If you want to erect a crane in London of any significant height... there is something called a Notam (Notice to Airmen)... it's a known value that the crane is there, they don't just erect them."
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

They are saying that helicopter had been diverted to Battersea.
We live under a helicopter flight path with several passing over the house every day travelling to/from London direction.
Edit - one has just passed over heading, from sound, towards London and it's so misty we couldn't see it.
Community Veteran

Very sad.  It has been announced that the 2 people on board have both died and a further 9 injured, one critically.
Community Veteran

It has been announced on the radio that the crane driver was late for work this morning.  It possibly saved his life if true.
Community Veteran

It has been clarified that only the pilot was on board the helicopter.  The other person who died was on the ground. 13 people are now stated to have been injured.  In such a built-up area and in the rush hour this could have been much more serious. All credit to the Fire, Ambulance and Police for the excellent job they have done.
nadger
Rising Star

@artmo - I also saw interview with one of the building site workers who said it was first time crane driver had ever been late for work.
No way he could have survived if he'd been up in his cabin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Very tragic.
Lucky crane driver though!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: artmo
It has been clarified that only the pilot was on board the helicopter.  The other person who died was on the ground. 13 people are now stated to have been injured.  In such a built-up area and in the rush hour this could have been much more serious. All credit to the Fire, Ambulance and Police for the excellent job they have done.

Idiot taking a short cut through central London in bad weather - he should have been grounded.