cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helicoper Crash

Community Veteran

Helicoper Crash

A Police helicopter has crashed into a pub in Glasgow.  It happened around 10.25pm last night.
Crash
Many people are feared to have been injured but it is not known if there has been anyone killed.  Some people are still trapped.
21 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Helicoper Crash

Very tragic. According to the Mail there are three reported dead.
Edit: Now states 6 dead. Very sad for all concerned and their families.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kdoug007
Grafter

I was  reading  this  boys  farther,  went  to the  pub  with his  friend..
  and  the    helicopter  lander just  ware  he  was seated!!!!!
  he  hasnt  heard  from him !!
Fixes: 47

3 confirmed dead, many injured but not life threatening at the moment.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The BBC are now saying 1 person dead and 32 hospitalize.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Sky are still saying At least six people have died and 32 have been injured after a police helicopter crashed into a pub in Glasgow, Sky sources say.
Fixes: 124

There's another BBC page where just 3 are still confirmed dead.
From what I've been reading it seem impossible that the pilot and two passengers could have survived.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav, unfortunately I have to agree with your comment regarding the pilot and passengers.  The pilot was a civilian.
@Oldjim, it seems strange how different figures are coming from different news sources.  As I am typing this I am listening to the radio and they are reporting 1 dead.  I would have thought all the various news agencies are getting updates from the same source, i.e. Police and Ambulance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The police are saying one confirmed but it will increase - so I assume that Sky are adding in the missing
The police statement at 11.08 stated
"At this time I can confirm that 32 injured people were taken by ambulance from the scene last night. They were taken to three different hospitals in Glasgow. Sadly at this time, I can also confirm one fatality. We expect that number to increase over the coming hours."
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Very tragic for those involved.
It remains to be seen what the cause of the crash was.
There have been several incidents of mechanical failure in Helicopters used by staff to reach the North Sea Oil Rigs, be interesting to see if this is a similar type of Helicopter.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The aircraft was a Eurocopter EC-135
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25166921
North Sea oil passenger ferrying aircraft are much larger, such as the Eurocopter AS332 Super Puma
Community Veteran

The Police have just announced that the fatalities are now 8.
nanotm
Pro

they don't confirm the number of fatalities until they can id them, and half the time they wait to confirm the numbers dead until the families have been notified to minimise the risk that a name gets published before they have been able to inform NOK.
it is a bit stupid though because the number of fatalities will of been known almost immediately by the onlookers simply by seeing how many stretchers had the heads covered by the blankets (since they try not to use body bags now where practical)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

At this point the Police haven't issued a list of names simply issued the number that have died.
Quote from: nanotm
it is a bit stupid though because the number of fatalities will of been known almost immediately by the onlookers simply by seeing how many stretchers had the heads covered by the blankets (since they try not to use body bags now where practical)

Not necessarily so. Some of the individuals would have been taken to hospital and could have died there.
nanotm
Pro

sure that's at least true of 2 casualties but certainly given the numbers being bandied about 6 were known to have been deceased at the scene
I'd be rather inclined to say that the reason there not declaring the numbers dead at the scene had political and financial motivations, no doubt the person they officially declared dead on sight was the pilot and the paperwork will invariably say the remainder died either on route to the hospital or at the hospital(s) which will rather complicate the insurance situation (who pays out the compo) then it will be declared as either pilot error or mechanical failure further shifting the blame away from official insurance carriers.......its rather shocking but always true of state agencies
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you