cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy handed?

Fixes: 125

Heavy handed?

Terrified boy, 11, frogmarched off bus to waiting police after forgetting his Oyster card due to sch...
This story reminded me of something that happened to me when I was around 9 years old back in the 60's.
I used to travel to school in London from Lewisham to Peckham ; a distance of 3 miles. Back then the passes stated your journey's start and end stops. For my journey there was one route that went all the way or several buses to New Cross where I could change for one of several to my destination (there was still a fair walk from the stop).
One day, having got off at New Cross on the way to school I was told, in no uncertain terms on the next bus, that I should not have changed as my pass did not allow that and next time I would not be allowed back on.
I informed the school and a new Pass was issued with the words 'Change at New Cross' added. This worked fine for several weeks until one day when I was going home on the direct route and reached New Cross. At this point the conductor chucked me off as the pass said I had to change there. When I protested reminding him that the bus went all the way without requiring a change he wouldn't budge - nor would the bus until I got off.
Suffice it to say I was pretty upset when I got home. Traumatised - no.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

1 REPLY
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Heavy handed?

One for a Jobs worth award on "That's Life", a lack of common sense on the bus driver and police side
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017