cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heathrow cancel flights tomorrow

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Heathrow cancel flights tomorrow

Heard something on the news that Heathrow has cancelled a third of flights tomorrow....... in case it snows !  Roll eyes
32 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Heathrow cancel flights tomorrow

It is snowing here in Middlesbrough.    Sad
I hope it gos soon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't mind it too much at the weekend (I got the weekly shopping in today just in case), coming down fairly steady now in Northampton though only an inch or two on the ground.  Maybe it'll go by Monday or the kids will be expecting time off school (not if I can help it).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

@Shutter, Heathrow has cancelled some flights both arrivals and departures for Sunday.  Guess they don't want a repeat of the embarrassment they had last year.
Flights
At this point Gatwick and Stansted haven't cancelled any flights but have the situation under review.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just started here,  temp -1.4  its settling but very fine - Braintree Essex
about 15 mile from Stansted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In my Heathrow days, I was one of the volunteers for night "Snow Base" duty, which meant we made ourselves comfortable in a quiet room in the terminal and slept the shift away. and never actually used "in anger" If ever required, our duties would be mostly to keep the land-side pathways cleared. I was "fortunate" in that I had an air-side driving licence, so may have been involved in helping in keeping apron walkways clear.
The "glamorous" jobs with snow ploughs and blowers etc on runways and taxiways were handled by a fairly small dedicated crew of Air-side Operations drivers.
However, by no means were the airports caught out by the snow, as the snow teams were (probably still are) assembled and taken off their own routine shifts at least 24 hours before the expected arrival of snow. What they were and are caught by is the ferocity and weight of snowfall, which is notoriously difficult to forecast. Heathrow was often surrounded by snowed in villages and towns when hardly a flake has fallen on the airport itself.
Gatwick, because of its geographic location in a valley, could be snowed in when the surroundings were relatively clear. It was once said, that if the entire country was surveyed looking for the least desirable place to locate an airport Gatwick would be very high on the list if not the leader.  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Snowing heavily in my part of Essex now.  Hope it clears by Tuesday as I have to get to hospital for an operation. Don't want to have to put it off.
Fixes: 47

We have about 5cm in this part of Sheffield and the temp is currently -1 degree Celsius and rising at 0.3 degrees an hour.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

mines going down now -2.2 and road and car covered
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: artmo
Hope it clears by Tuesday as I have to get to hospital for an operation.

Fingers crossed for you (in case it helps).  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Not far NW of Heathrow. Six inches now, stll falling - so much for 5-10cm forecast!  Crazy
Gritting lorry stuck nearby.  Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well Stansted is still operating flight to Alicante just taken off
me at 15 mile away  -2.2  15Cm pn road (6") and 30 cm on top of car (12")
pictures below
had to go out and clear the snow off the bird feeders, one Robin doing its nut
Community Veteran

@HPsauce, Heathrow seems to have cancelled quite a few flights which doesn't appear to be happening at our other major airports to the same degree.  It's something that needs to be examined when runway expansion comes back on the agenda.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
It's something that needs to be examined when runway expansion comes back on the agenda.

or it could be use as a reason that Heathrow need runway expansion. The reason given by Heathrow for cancelling flights is that they run close to capacity and there is little slack in the system. I have been sitting on the ground in Geneva airport when they could not de-ice the plane quick enough before the runaway was going to be closed so the snow ploughs could do their jobs. It was an hour later before the runway was reopened. Heathrow can't stack planes for an hour or more without diverting them to other airports.