cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heated Rear Window

Devonian
Grafter

Heated Rear Window

I've just been out in the car, the back window steamed up, and wouldn't clear with the heated window switched on.
I took a look, and the terminal that the wire connects to, that is normally attached to the window has come off.
It looks like it was soldered on, but there isn't any metal to solder to..
Any way does anybody have any idea how I can fix it?
I assume an repair needs to be able to conduct electricity, so is there any glue I could use?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Heated Rear Window

There are repair kits for heated rear windows, presumably usually to deal with damaged elements.
I know people who have used them, but not what they include.
I would guess that with suitable adhesive (for glass and metal, such as epoxy resin) some wire and such a kit you could fix it.
This might be helpful despite being US-based: http://www.frostfighter.com/defroster-repair-fix-it-guide.htm?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A Google search for conductive glue for rear demister gave a few options
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You could ring Autoglass, and see if they will replace the rear window for you, as part of the insurance on your window glass ?  I seem to remember having one done by them a long time ago... for just that reason !...
Devonian
Grafter

I am thinking about painting this stuff on the tab, and onto the window, let it dry, then glue the tab back in place with super glue.
What do you think, would it work?  I don't want to make a mess!  Huh
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20...

If not, then I'll try shutters idea!
Community Veteran

Nah, superglue isn't conductive, I'd use proper conductive glue.
Once fixed and working then cover it with epoxy so it won't come off ever again.  Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Devonian
I've just been out in the car, the back window steamed up

You need to solve the problem rather than the symptoms. You have damp in there somewhere - probably in the spare wheel well if you have one. I was suffering with this in our car and took the spare out to find a massive puddle in there an inch deep.
At night, air pressure drops, damp starts to rise and meets the glass that it can't rise through thus steaming it up.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

It was the gallons of rain falling that caused the steaming up.  Angry
I can't find any where that sells conductive glue apart from Amazon or eBay. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Devonian
It was the gallons of rain falling that caused the steaming up.  Angry

That was what i thought too and then i took out the spare wheel.
How does rain get inside the car to steam it up? It doesn't unless you have a leak or damp in there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
How does rain get inside the car to steam it up?
Not rain, humidity from people if there are no leaks, which then absorbs into fabrics and foams.
When the exterior cools it will condense on the coldest surface.
If you have aircon there will also be a condenser tray with extracted water in it, inside the dashboard usually, with drains to the outside. That will often have a pool of water in it.
Devonian
Grafter

The boot is lovely and dry..  (I fixed that months ago  Cheesy)
The damp/wet got in via me being drenched after helping Dad with the lambing on the farm.
I'm going to try soldering the tab back on, if that doesn't work I'll try conductive glue.. and if that fails I guess I need a new window. Sad
Thank goodness for time off of work!
Community Veteran

I remember the days of buying stick-on heated rear window elements in Halfords.  Roll eyes
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I bet the element is Aluminium - so good luck with soldering!

Devonian
Grafter

I've no idea what the element is!  But I'm about to find out.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

clean it with a standard household eraser (the white or pink types) then put the solder tip onto the window side and apply a small amount of solder to "tin the joint" then apply heat to the loose side and more solder, then holding the soldering iron tip against the loose part bring it to mate
if its aluminium elemtn it should work fine that way although hthe joint will be weak and will probably separate through the vehicle's normal running vibrations within a few weeks at best (if the soldered connection works and the element works again you could get some high heat silicon sealant and beef up the joint area by making a horrible splodge over it)
its a short term fix and your far better off just getting it replaced to be honest
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you