cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heat loss

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Heat loss

Despite taking the usual measures I am convinced our house is a lot colder than it should be and I wondered if it was possible to either hire or get access to a thermal image camera.
Any other ideas on how I might check heat loss would be useful
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Heat loss

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/thermal-camera-hire/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt763BRDZx_Xg3-Pv2cABEiQAoDfeGBaW-CH-X...
You could also approach the problem from the 'other end' and try measuring inside surface temperatures to find 'cold spots', any electronic thermometer with a surface temperature probe should suffice for this.
Or possibly one of these might allow you to do a 'survey' inside and out.
[Edit] found this if anyone wants to get into thermal imaging at a (comparatively) reasonable cost.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Failed windows and door seals? They go hard with age.
Community Veteran

@nozzer,
We recently had these replaced but even with new seals there is no guarantee they are ok but I have ordered a item identified by Mav which will allow me to check them.
@Mav,
Thanks for the links, the feedback on the item from Maplin sounds right up my street at £19.99 and it comes with free postage.
I can see a few other useful uses for this item.
The professional ones for hire are likely to be much better but the cost of hiring one is a bit above my budget.
Thanks for the responses.
Smiley Smiley
Fixes: 124

Quote from: gleneagles
@Mav,

It was w23 Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@mav
@w23
Apologies,
Next visit to specsavers is due shortly.
Wink
PowerLee
Rising Star

I've got one of those Maplin infra red temp sensors in my tool box.
I use it for measuring the temperatures in suspect motors, brake units, batteries etc.
It's a decent bit of kit for the price.
Community Veteran

I blame age, the older a person gets, the higher the thermostat tends to go, but they still feel cold, it's as though we become cold-blooded creatures as we head into the grey years... Shocked
Fixes: 124

Ready Brek in the mornings... central heating for kids... and adults Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Despite taking the usual measures I am convinced our house is a lot colder than it should be and I wondered if it was possible to either hire or get access to a thermal image camera.
Any other ideas on how I might check heat loss would be useful

How is it constructed? Solid brick external walls, or cavity, and how old is it?
Community Veteran

@nozzer,
Built 1987, cavity walls with some sort of insulation which look like small polythene balls.
I am a bit suspicious about the floor, which is a solid ? bitumen floor and a number of years ago I put down some laminated floor boards with a carpet square in the middle, should that turn out to be the problem then I am stuck as the only answer would be to put a fitted carpet down which defeats the object of a laminated floor.
Hopefully the item ordered from Maplin with confirm that one way or another.
Smiley
Community Veteran

That should be quite good thermally. I wonder if you are suffering from poor flow to the radiators? Do they all seem to be getting hot top to bottom when the system is working hard? Especially bottom?
Community Veteran

Hopefully the item ordered from Maplin with confirm that one way or another.
Do, please, let us know how you get on.
How much insulation do you have in your loft?  Often well worth topping up if less than about 10 inches.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.