Heat blamed for Australian internet failure

zapto
Grafter

Heat blamed for Australian internet failure

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Heat blamed for Australian internet failure

In the event of a power failure causing the loss of air-con that kept the servers cool, wouldn't it be prudent to have, say, I don't know, backup power sources like UPSes and generators to keep their servers cool and powered up? Might help them prevent future issues like that and disrupting services that people have paid for... Roll eyes
(Hopefully PlusNet has standby generators too!!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can tell you, but the advice runs at £1,500/day. In essence most data centres have standby generators to support battery UPS and cooling system. Typically you aim for the generator to take over within 10-15 seconds. It is not unusual to have a backup generator for the standby generator.  However like most mouse/men plans things go wrong. Just don't ask me about these problems at a boring party otherwise it will be a couple of hours before you can escape me ...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A friend of mine builds large-scale generator control gear across the pond, so I often get told about things generator-related, so have heard plenty about them, and the things that go wrong with them, and how people forget to maintain them and blame everyone else but themselves for not maintaining them... Grin
zapto
Grafter

I think this is more an issue of the A/C. If the Air con can not dissipate the heat outside the building (as the amiante temp is the same) this will cause the issues seen.  I think they did the right thing here and turn off servers to start cooling the Server Floor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

[/pedant mode: on] Servers don't cool, they generate heat.[/pedant modeShockedff]
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.