cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing problems.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hearing problems.

As we get older some of us experience hearing loss.
The other week I was out with SWMBO and called at a pub and enquired if they did food.
The landlady said, "We do a sandwich or a super sandwich"  well I thought that's what she said but in fact what she said was, "We do a Sandwich or soup and a sandwich"
so I asked what was the difference and she said you get soup with it.
Must have thought I was a bit thick !
Lucky you can laugh at some of the daft things that happen when you get older. Smiley
7 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Hearing problems.

Not a hearing problem but my densest moment in a shop was when I asked the price of some "curtain material" in M&S. I was baffled why the assistant wouldn't tell me and she was baffled why I was asking the price of  upholstery fabrics that could only be bought as part of a complete item of furniture!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wear (sometimes) two hearing aids, without them I am all but deaf in my left ear the right aid is to balance the sound. For some strange reason when wearing the aids we can be sitting in a restaurant and I can have some difficulty hearing Mrs P on the other side of the table, but can clearly hear conversations on other tables around us. I've thought of getting Mrs P to sit at another table but she's not keen.
My hearing condition means I have limited spacial awareness (I can hear sounds but am not always aware from which direction they're coming from) which can often lead to me looking the wrong way if I'm called from a distance.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
thejudge
Grafter

A colleague of mine is deaf in one ear.
One morning, getting ready to go to work, she was pottering around in the kitchen with the BBC News on TV.
She heard the newsreader say:
"A boat-load of science teachers has sunk off the coast of Australia"
That's sad, she thought, especially concerned as her son is a science teacher. But then she stopped, and wondered why the BBC was suddenly interested in her son's profession.
She put the Text on, and when the story was next announced, she read:
"A boat-load of asylum-seekers has sunk off the coast of Australia"
jmd
Grafter

I can relate to anyone hearing things wrong as I have no hearing at high pitch and so hearing aids do not help me so do not wear them.  So I have some interesting conversations on the phone at times, on one occasion a friend was telling me she had a new car but I thought she had got a cat and could not understand why she was telling me she had chosen green!  Luckily my friends are all aware of pitfalls of having phone conversations with me! Smiley  more difficult is when I make appointment to see Dr and think I was told 3.15pm when should have been there 2.15pm!  The receptionist now always gets asked about three times what time she has said and you can hear this note of irritation in her voice.........
Fixes: 125

Just this evening SWMBO was sitting playing with her Smartphone when she asked 'where's Homebase'.
She gave me the funniest of faces when I said it's about 7 miles away.
It seems she actually asked 'where's the compass' referring to an app on the phone Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

My late wife had hearing problems and if I spoke louder after her failing to hear something correctly I was told off for shouting.
It wasn't me she was annoyed at but her disability she was frustrated with but I took the stick for it....bless her.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Snap!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.