cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing problem so am leaving Plusnet as difficult to communicate

JohnCT1
Grafter

Hearing problem so am leaving Plusnet as difficult to communicate

As I am leaving Plusnet, with some reluctance, I need a landline contract fo calls. Any suggestions as to a good, price wise and service, supplier please?

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Fixes: 506

Re: Hearing problem so am leaving Plusnet as difficult to communicate

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Home Phone to General Chat as it's not directly Plusnet related.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've been with Pulse8 for my phone line since May 2018; their line rental went up to £14.40/month (incl.VAT) last year I think it was, after being £13 for nine years.  Their calls are very cheap; in the first month I paid 79p for calls that would have cost about £12.50 with PN.  They also do broadband.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Jonpe   

Hmmm....just checked.... after putting in my landline number.... they are offering me.... £19  + £6 per month... equiv to £300

per year....   and an estimated speed of 4.2 Megs .....

With PN... at the moment.. with annual line rental at £200 ( approx ) ... and monthly cost for  bb and calls ( approx) £10  equiv to approx £120   total for the year is approx £320....  but my actual speed is between 6 and 7 Megs... !

But......

They have a "softphone" option that is only £11.94 per month... HuH   ?  what is that ? 

says you can keep your existing landline number... and has a mobile app... got me confused already ! ! ..

Can I use my existing router / modem with your service?

You can use any router with our service as long as it is NOT locked down to a specific service provider.

As a rule routers from Sky, BT & PlusNet are not compatible as they are locked down, so please contact us

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

With PN... at the moment.. with annual line rental at £200 ( approx ) ... and monthly cost for  bb and calls ( approx) £10  equiv to approx £120   total for the year is approx £320....  but my actual speed is between 6 and 7 Megs... !

But......

They have a "softphone" option that is only £11.94 per month... HuH   ?  what is that ? 

says you can keep your existing landline number... and has a mobile app... got me confused already ! ! ..

@shutter 

Softphone?  That'll be VoIP, and you keep your landline number by porting it to a VoIP company.

Basically, VoIP runs over an internet connection so can also run from an app installed on a mobile phone.

VoIP = Voice over Intenet Protocol

That £11.94 pm sounds rather expensive to me compared to my own very low VoIP costs (measured in very low single digit £'s pm i.e. under £2).  EDIT:  Just done a rough calculation in my head and it's actually under £1 

I just checked their site and surprise surprise, they tell me Superfast Broadband is not available to me.  That's odd as I'm on FTTP!  Well it's not really odd because most ISPs aren't yet moving with the times and offering FTTP due to relatively low coverage of the country although the rollout does appear to be speeding up (no pun intended).

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Thanks for the enlightenment !why can`t they keep to a simple name like VOIP.. and everyone will know what it is ! ! ..Roll_eyes

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Still £14.40/month on this page  @shutter (click the Home tab).  The price you're quoting is for broadband and phone.  I don't have their broadband.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Jonpe  Yes, indeedy !... I do have both phone and  BB..