cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing aid batteries, and tubes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hearing aid batteries, and tubes

I have been using NHS hearing aids for a number of years now,.... and when I needed a new supply of batteries, or new tubes, it was just a matter of going to certain nominated local health centres and asking for them, producing my booklet for them to be recorded in.... these local centres had free car parking, and were within a couple of miles, so quite easy to access, and usually done so, on an outing to other places... not a "specific" journey..

On each visit, I would be presented with two packs of batteries ( 6 in each ) ( i have to aids ).and two tubes, ( unless I remembered to ask for more, in which case I would begrudginly given another two)..

About September last year, I went to my usual centre, and was told that they were no longer able to supply, and neither would other healt centres, as it was all being "centralised" at the main hospital....For this area, that is on the outskirts of Portsmouth... fortunately for me, I live about 5 miles from there, so it was still not a great distance to travel, however, I am sure that many people have to travel miles more ( doubling up if a specific journey ) and added to that would be the parking charges at the hospital.

Now I know the NHS is in dire trouble, financially, but this does seem to be a "small service" that would only save a small amount of money.. but is of immense benefit to a wide area of the public. apart from the inconvenience. there is also a cost element in the transport and parking issues.

With the above in mind, I wondered if it were possible to purchase batteries and tubes on line.. so I looked on Ebay.. and lo and behold,..YUP !.. they can be bought online... and , I though, for a "reasonable" cost...

The "reasonable cost" is not enourmous,  (to me).. and is probably about the same as the cost of the transport and parking , but the convenience factor, that I can order as many as I think I will need, and be delivered to my door via the postman far outweighs the inconvenince of traipsing down to the hospital, then finding a wheelchair for the wife, pushing  her halfway around the hospital to the hearing department for a "meagre issue" ...then push her back to the car, and return the wheels..  only to be repeated the next month ad nauseum !..

So for those who may be interested... I am posting the linky`s to the ebay sellers that I am using..

(Bear in mind there are other sellers, and more importantly, there are many different kinds of batteries for different types and makes of hearing aids.....  check to make sure your battery size is the same as the one you are ordering)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rayovac-Extra-Mercury-Free-Hearing-Aid-Batteries-x60-Size-13-/171040298892...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BTE-Earmould-Hearing-Aid-Tubes-6-Tubes-with-Freepost-/301892198191?hash=it...

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Hearing aid batteries, and tubes

I Have no idea about what the batteries are like from ebay but would add the following information to your post.

When I needed a hearing test I was given the option of various venues which included the NHS, however I opted for specsavers who supplied me with NHS hearing ades and advised me they would post batteries  to me every 6 months, they have done this for the last 2 years so this may be an option for some people, there is of course no charge to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you're using the common NHS supplied Oticon Spirit Zest (I have two of them) my Audiology department at the local hospital recently informed me that there was difficulty in sourcing replacement aids and parts, and that I would be assessed for new aids, for this I needed a referral from my GP (completed but not yet seen for assessment).

Other than that, the Audiology department runs regular hearing clinics in the surrounding GP surgeries, at which supplies of batteries and tubes can be obtained. My surgery gets them about three times a month, their times are well displayed in the waiting room. Suggest you check with your GP surgery to see if your Audiology does the same.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I don`t think they would keep that a "secret" and would publish it on their website, if it were to be a " normal " service or even a " new service"  .. they are very good at promoting stuff and services on the website. and I have to go there every few days to order prescriptions.. so I would definitely see it..

The batteries I get from the linky are exactly the same make as those supplied by the Hearing Department... and I have had no problems with them.. they seem to last just as long as the NHS supplied ones.

ffox
Rising Star

The audiology department at the nearest NHS Hospital (9 miles away) kindly post batteries and tubes to me if I ask nicely.

Luzern
Pro

I live in S.W Hampshire, but my hospital audiology department in nearly 20 miles away in Wiltshire. My GP prefers it as a nearer on in Dorset has longer wait times, and as importantly with our hospital once weekly a local service for problems and tests are available at another local surgery. As far as batteries and tubes are concerned, we can post a request with 2 1 st class stamps, or once weekly for two or so hours get them from a local community centre. Having 2 aidsI get 4 packs without question.

A couple of years back I lost an aid in France! Had to pay for a replacement, but benefited from an upgrade for both ears from Spirit Zest to Zest +. A fair improvement.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14446970.WARNING__Yorkshire_patients_told_to_watch_out_for_exploding_h...

Look out for exploding NHS hearing aid batteries 

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Thanks for the warning.... mine are RAYOVAC  and not affected... also The Press ( Y.E.P,   a famous cry on York station many years ago ! ! !).. report indicates it is only the Harrogate and Ripon area that has been affected.. also it states it is a "precautionary measure by the manufacturer"   no incidents have been reported.

Luzern
Pro

I reckon it all goes back to some tight tyke at the trust's HQ, who ordered them from Ebay, or a barrow in the local market!Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.