cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Healthier if you keep working !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Healthier if you keep working !

According to the news today a report has claimed that most people are far healthier if they keep working well past retirement age and those who retire early, 55 onwards will be dead within 10 years.
Personally I have never heard such rubbish and it can only give the government more ammunition (not that it needs it) to extend the retirement age even further !
I Have never felt better since retiring ! Smiley
10 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Healthier if you keep working !

Gulp! I retired at 52 (lucky me) - but I do voluntary work, so does that count?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

http://www.iea.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/files/Work%20Longer,%20Live_Healthier.pdf
and it all boils down to "self assessed health" not to any proper rigorous definition
virtually the other surveys cited in the paper show the opposite conclusion
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Although I'm not near retirement age, my personal view is that it's having something to do that keeps you going. That or something to aim for - anything that gives you the determination to continue. Whether that is work or your own personal stuff I don't think matters as long as you have something to keep you going.
I've heard of people who have retired and they're dead not long after having previously complained of having nothing to do. Seems to me that boredom plays its part in giving you an early end once you're retired.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: shalom2010
I do voluntary work, so does that count?

I'm sure it does (let's hope so anyway).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nadger
Rising Star

I was 70 and 7 months when I finally decided not to continue taking work.
Was 73 when diagnosed wih advancd bladder cancer but was lucky with surgery 4 years ago.
I've known people who only survived a couple of years after retiring at 65.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

64 and in Saudi Arabia working on a power station project Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

67 and still working albeit part-time. Just completed a PCV driving qualification that expires in 5 years when I will be 73, whether I will be taking it up for another five years will have to be seen then, but providing I can continue passing the annual medical I probably will. We have two (very good too) coach drivers in the company I work for who are in their mid seventies.
Fact is I actually like working and don't really want to stop.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
According to the news today a report has claimed that most people are far healthier if they keep working well past retirement age and those who retire early, 55 onwards will be dead within 10 years.

Oh bum!  Cheesy
That means I've been on borrowed time for 2 years!  Shocked
I retired at 54 and never worked again. I'm now 66. 'Work' is a 4 letter word amongst my retired friends.
Geoff,
York.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If this report is right I'll be lucky to last the year out. Damn! I now regret paying a year's Line Rental Saver in advance.
As with any statistic it needs careful examination. The BBC report said that the report was from a economics think tank not health professionals.
Is it that people who work longer tend to stay healthier or  that unhealthy people tend to have to retire earlier?
There are people who love there jobs and thrive doing them. There are people who hate their jobs and become wrecks with stress. Whatever the truth of the statistical average a lot will depend on an individual's circumstances.
Fixes: 47

I was made redundant a week before my 63rd birthday and decided that was my retirement point.
Thoroughly enjoyed it to date in a very relaxed manner and I feel fine. Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation