cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health tourism

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Health tourism

I See the government have been drawing attention to the millions of pounds spent each year on holiday health tourists, ie Those people who come into the country with the specific aim of getting treatment on the health service for free.
This kind of thing has been going on for years and like lots of other abuses the government suddenly highlight it along with the savings to be made and then it all goes quiet and nothing happens.
53 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Health tourism

a huge problem is they had a legal argument over how to check if someone is entitled to treatment or not, any uk citizen should in theory have an ni number and present there nin card in order to obtain treatment, unfortunately they never get asked for (which is just as well because 99% of the population looses them within the first year and never bother to get it replaced) so how do you check if a person is entitled to treatment or is an illegal or is a health tourist .....once you work that out how do you then chase they from billing purposes, there's so many number crunchers within the NHS someone should be able to send a monthly statement to each of the various countries to get re-imbursed, instead they leave it to the NAO to collate that and bill in retrospect (most of which goes unpaid).
if we all had chips under the skin given at birth containing our NIN + corresponding NHSN then this would be a lot easier in terms of checking and billing upfront then the national billing agency could be responsible for collecting any money not paid for by credit card upfront .....but unless that chip came free and was mandatory who would willing have a med tag implanted in there body ? you would have all kinds of nutters jumping up and down about privacy totally failing to understand it has 2 numbers that a wand will read nothing more nothing less and unless the wand being used to read them was hooked up to the NHS database it would even pull up relevant medical warnings let alone any other information.

the only thing this study has really highlighted is just how much treating illegals is costing (because they include any illegal immigrant in order to boost the total figure of uncollected monies) but then we already knew that illegal's cost the country millions so finding out they cost a few more is no great surprise
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
RichAllen
Grafter

Forgive me for sounding like a Daily Fail reader, but that's why unemployment amongst British people is so high, the immigrants are taking all the jobs!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
if we all had chips under the skin

and tracking device plus a brain implant..  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: RichAllen
Forgive me for sounding like a Daily Fail reader, but that's why unemployment amongst British people is so high, the immigrants are taking all the jobs!

Not necessarily 100% true...... immigrants are not taking all the jobs....
Many immigrants do jobs and work that uk residents do not want to do... i.e. lower paid, menial work,...
Other more "qualified" immigrants do not "take" the jobs ... they apply for jobs, the same as uk residents... and then... after interview, they are  given the jobs.  Usually, because they have a "proper work ethic" and the employer recognises that during the interview.
If the immigrants are registered with the Job Centre, they are sent to apply for jobs within their qualification field.... so... a newly qualified dental assistant, for example, will be applying for jobs in that field, if they are not successful, or no jobs available, then they will apply for, and get, lower paid work to keep themselves, and their family, such as hospital porter/laundry worker/cleaner..... jobs that uk residents consider to be below their status/benefit levels to be worth doing.
No, I am not saying we should have an open door policy on immigration, but try to keep it in perspective....
nanotm
Pro

haha
I wouldn't mind if they had gps in them, would stop me worrying as much if I could open an app and see where the kids are....oh wait I do that with the phones already.....
but in truth I wouldn't have a problem with something akin to a pet passport for humans, if all it contained was 2 numbers or 3 if you add in the passport number what difference would it make, theres already people running about with various versions of chips in them in New York, nightclubs have card wands they wave over a customer to get payment card info and the customer then keys in a pin, the card itself being a micro chip (particularly the chicks who don't ant to carry a purse and no pockets in those outfits) in South America politicians have security chips to allow access to offices as well as a wealth of other data services
but then being that I've been listed on fingerprint + DNA database my entire adult life I perhaps am more inclined towards the belief that those who do nothing wrong have nothing to fear side of things rather than the naysayers who cant see any benefits to a system that allows you many advantages, particularly if your unfortunate enough to need sparing the requirement to identify a loved one (because there DNA is already verified) or your long lost jane /john doe is finally reunited with the family (alive or dead)
as far as nefarious use there is none, nothing independently identifiable is stored on it just 3 random numbers, unless you have access to the corresponding databse(s) there of zero independent use, but could save you a whole world of pain because loosing your passport will never be a problem again Smiley 

there might be a few downsides for spooks, but i'm sure they would get round that, for the average law abideing citizen however they would be a boon
as for tracking device, only those with something to hide care about being tracked, a gps enabled tracker chip would need changing every few weeks (because the battery would run out) a passive one has no power source
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
CX
Grafter

They can't win.
Come here and don't work - "bloody foreigners sponging off our state"
Come here and do work that the typical chav can't be bothered to get out of bed for - "bloody foreigners coming and taking our jobs"
Perpetual victims always find someone to blame for them failing at life. "Bloody foreigners" and "Tory toffs" seem to be the favourites at the moment.
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen

I Don't think it's that simple, there are some unemployed British people who have no intention of taking a job or in some cases not fit to take a job, by not fit I don't mean physically but educationally. They have no idea of how to present themselves for an interview and in some cases do not even have a good grasp of essential skills such as reading, writing or even speaking.
Even if they were able to get a job could they stick it out, ?
So it would be true to say some immigrants are taking jobs, often ones that few British people have no wish to do or are incapable of doing over a long period of time but it would be untrue to say immigrants are taking all the jobs.
Community Veteran

@nanotm, there is no problem getting your NI number if you don't know it.  Your employer has it and your doctor has it for starters.
shalom2010
Grafter

We only seem worried about it now because of the 'crisis' in the NHS.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

But has the burden of health tourism possibly contributed to the crisis?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

General Practitioners in the UK are mostly private partnerships who happen to have service contracts with the NHS through various organisations. I see no problem with the GPs being allowed to treat Health Tourists or Illegal immigrants.
However the public purse should not fund such treatments nor the medicines prescribed for such individuals. Similarly if a GP refers a Health Tourist to a hospital for treatment the GP should be responsible for the cost of the treatment with the option of recovering from the patient.
The GP should be required to prove the entitlement of their patients for whom the GPs charge fees to the NHS. In the case of doubt the patient should be charged a fee by the GP with the patient being given the opportunity to reclaim from their insurance or the NHS if entitlement is proved.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

That sounds like a plan.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

My experience of GPs is that they would not be happy to police such a scheme.
Dr Clare Gerada of the Royal College of General Practitioners insisted doctors would not act as ‘a new border agency’.
Community Veteran

and in my experience they would be more than happy to support the plan..........providing they were paid a large additional sum of money to do it.