cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health and Safety

Fixes: 47

Health and Safety

A contractor across the road from me is fitting a satellite dish using a relatively short 10' ladder.
I notice he is wearing a hi-vis jacket and safety helmet......ok.
Also there is a rope stretched between the top and bottom rungs and he is attached to it by a device.
I don't recall the BT engineer who visited the pole outside my house using such a rope device.
Is this the way health and safety is these days?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
3 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Health and Safety

The BT guy would not reach the top of the pole by ladder they would have to climb off the ladder, they normally will have a sling around the pole which is fixed to a harness. Not sure how the sling stop them sliding all the way down the pole.  Shocked
Denzil
Grafter

There is no particular rule imposed by the HSE on how to use ladders. All they say is that their use should be risk assessed, and that the safest practical method of access should be used. It is up to the person/company using them to choose the details. Strops will stop a slide down a pole if the length is correct, because they wrap round and grip with friction when pulled down at an angle.
David_W
Rising Star

At a guess, I'd say it's litigation.  If the installer is up the ladder and falls off and isn't wearing a high-vis jacket, helmet, anti-grav boots, he'll sue because it's not his fault the ladder wasn't against the wall properly or something, all a bit daft really.