cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health & Safety

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Health & Safety

Always wondered why health and safety regulation do not apply to Train passengers.
I am thinking here of the large number of people who are required to stand for long journeys on Train/Tube journeys.
How do the Train companies get around the H&S legislation ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Health & Safety

I`ve often wondered about that too.....
I seem to recall that local bus services used to have the number of permitted passengers and the number permitted to stand painted on the entrance/rear window by the stairs,  (or up front on single deckers and the new front stair busses).... I think I remember it as being 5 standing....
God forbid that two of those commuter trains packed with standing passengers should meet in a tunnel......  Undecided
Community Veteran

There must be some law that allows them to pack everyone on board or there would have been a H&S issue already. 
Fixes: 47

I'm surprised people are allowed to stand on a platform so close to a moving train without a barrier between them.
In these days of 'extreme' Health and Safety I would have expected passengers to be either protected by said barrier until the train came to a stop or held in a waiting room until it was safe to go on the platform.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Some of the newer sections of the London Underground have sliding doors on the platform and these doors only open when it is possible to get on/off the tube.
David_W
Rising Star

For a bus, having too many people standing would restrict the view the driver has through a rear view mirror wouldn't it?  Although in fairness, just one person standing could do that if they had a really big head.  Health and safety assesses risk and tries to find a solution that would cut the risk to obvious issues, the train platform is an obvious issue, the solution is to paint a line saying "do not cross this line until the train has stopped", the problem is that people ignore the line, but you can't prevent idiocy through legislation.
The barrier solution wouldn't work, you can't guarantee the train doors would stop in line with the gaps in the barrier to let the passenger through, and there are lots of stations where there is no where for passengers to wait.
Standing on a train gives no risk to the driver, you can't distract him/her nor obstruct their view, the only real danger there is if a train full with people standing/sitting were to crash, the solution there is to make the train itself safer to reduce the risk of the train crashing.  It does happen, trains crash or derail, but it's very rare for that to occur.  As long as the people standing have something to hold on to, to prevent them from falling over when the train speeds up or slows down, there isn't a real risk to the passenger, although if you look at the Japanese metro during rush hour, it makes our over-crowded trains seem empty by comparison!  The guard will actually push people into the train like a tin of sardines, just so the door can close, the only thing stopping you falling over is the fact your squashed in so tight you can't move.
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
The barrier solution wouldn't work, you can't guarantee the train doors would stop in line with the gaps in the barrier to let the passenger through, and there are lots of stations where there is no where for passengers to wait.

Where the London Underground and the DLR have doors on the platform the trains stop in the right position every time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

I'm surprised people are allowed to stand on a platform so close to a moving train without a barrier between them.

Moscow .......  http://www.flixya.com/photo/1164343/8-The-worlds-most-crowded-subway-Russia-Moscow
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter, my regular bus is allowed 22 standing passengers (single decker) the number is related to the number of upright hand holds available. In theory no standing passengers are allowed on a double deck stairs, but we're reasonably sure there are some who do. But, there little a single-manned driver can do to "police" it. Since I don't drive double deckers (regularly) I'm not sure of the upper deck standing capacity but its probably similar arrangements for down stairs.
@David W, the bus/coach driver doesn't have an "traffic/driving" inside rear view mirror, but most have a mirror largely used the check that elderly or infirm passengers are sitting before moving off <yes, some of us still do check for that, whatever else you may have heard> Some buses/coaches have the rear end completely blocked off with the engine bay, even if there is a window it is so small and far away in a mirror you can't see anything outside anyway.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

If I remember, there was no allowance for standing passengers upstairs on double deckers... I was referring to the "location" of the information painted at the rear window by the stairs....  I`m going back to my school days with this memory... last time I travelled on a bus we were still using £sd. ! ! ! .....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well seeing as we're on the topic of railways and H&S, you might like the following light hearted site I stumbled on a while back:
http://www.deathbyhealthandsafety.co.uk/
It's about those very two things (mainly) - railways and H&S
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!