cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health & Safety - gone mad?

johpal
Grafter

Health & Safety - gone mad?

This morning, at work, a document landed in my email inbox. It is my employer's policy on hand hygiene. As a hospital worker, I am well aware of the importance of washing my hands, but a 23-page document on Why, When and How to do it?  Shocked
Somebody was paid a large amount of money and spent a lot of time writing that document, sitting in an office, well away from patients. I'm expected to know this policy (along with hundreds of others), in detail, as well as work with patients. Sometimes I wonder how (why?) I do it!  Crazy
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Health & Safety - gone mad?

Its one of the reasons the NHS (I'm assuming its the NHS) has a funding crisis. They actually employ "senior" managers to look busy earning, £K's that would be better spent on patient care, to turn out drivel like this. Bet he's got a job title that barely fits across a sheet of A4.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I attended a meeting last year which was addressed by one of these 'managers' in the health service.  He had one of the longest job titles I have come across and it gave no inkling to what he actually did.  To wind things up a bit I asked him if he had a particularly wide door on his office.  When he asked why I said he needed to have to get his job title on.  Laughter from the floor but not the top table Smiley Smiley
StickyMick
Grafter

Tell me about it. On a similar note, one of my nephews came home from school last week with a thin red mark on his face that was going across his forehead and then down and around under his eyes. I ask him what he's been up to and he says he's been sticking things on the notice boards all day with Blu-Tack. "OK, but why the red mark?" I ask. "We've got to wear goggles when we use Blu-Tack now" he replies. Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some thing on the gogle box the other night  just remove all those nice shiny steel handles from hospital doors and fit copper ones, they have been proved to kill germs, that would have been cheaper than the book
Denzil
Grafter

What I find interesting about most of these stories is that the Health and Safety Executive actually have a fairly common sense approach, and that the daft rules are mostly made up by local officials with no sense of proportion, or who need to justify their own existence by coming up with this excessive drivel and then blaming he HSE.
HSE Myth of the month
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Local CEOs in authority will always try to over complicate everything because they're not far off from being politicians. They all try to make their jobs look more complex than they really are because that way they can justify their existence and their hugely over inflated salary.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!