cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headline seen while out shopping - iPad purchase required by school

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Headline seen while out shopping - iPad purchase required by school

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/iPad-ROW-Parents-Sherborne-school-stunned-told/story-21651846-detail...;
In a letter to parents, Stuart Lawson, assistant headteacher, wrote that the school is “explicitly recommending” that parents with children in Year 7, 8 and 9 buy their child an iPad for use in lessons at the school from September, although it has now issued a statement insisting it is not a “requirement”.
17 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Headline seen while out shopping - iPad purchase required by school

I would hope that it was not a requirement, for any child to have a iPad.   Angry  Angry
[Edit] Spelling
Community Veteran

I'd have thought Chromebooks with Google Apps (and Citrix) would be much more economic and have the opportunity for usage control.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Seems like this guy has got himself a "contract" on the supply route for Ipads.... and will be making a "few bob" ( for school funds) , if he can "con" the parents.... The headteacher seems to be backing his "idea"... which further indicates, to me, that the school coffers might (also) benefit from this .... Not actually mentioned by either of them... but, no doubt will be given out as a "good reason" for the school to be the supplier, rather than each individual family obtaining the Ipad on their own terms...
Either way... I would be against this, IF I had kids at that school.... Imagine having 3 kids in those years... that is a wacking great £1200 ... to find... on top of school uniform/sports kit, etc...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Doesn't this breach competition rules? - No state owned dept is supposed to recommend any product of any brand over any other. This is called favouritism and the state always wants to avoid this for fear of accusations of corruption.
So from this, do we deduce that the educational system is now corrupt?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

From reading the last paragraph of the report I got the impression that the Deputy Head didn't know what he was talking about or there was a rather rapid backside covering exercise taking place (I suspect that the latter is more likely)
TORPC
Grafter

What ever happened to the pen & paper, or the old slate tablet ?Huh
Surly the cost to the environment, in manufacturing countries like Chine et al, is much much wore worse than using recycled paper, to manufacture the modern day tablets
I still say the schools, need to go back to basics on some things.
If the deputy head does not know what he is on about, then he should resign
Community Veteran

Possible scenario.... ( hypothetical, of course.....)
Deputy Head.... I have an idea to make some money.... (for school funds)..... make the parents buy an Ipad from us at a big price... offer short term "loan" to poorer families.... Hmm.. I`ll send out a letter....
Letter goes out... (not unseen/unknown by the Headmaster).... parents ring up or visit and complain to Headmaster and local press.
Headmaster... (Hmm.... must do some thing about this.... I know... I`ll make out a statement that "seems" to agree but does not necessarily state that I had anything to do with it, in case it backfires on me )....

Unfortunately, TORPC has got it slightly wrong.... quote.... If the deputy head does not know what he is on about, then he should resign  unquote..... it should be the Head AND the Deputy....
nanotm
Pro

my kids were all issued ipads by there school for which those on benefits pay nothing as its covered by the pupil premium and those not on benefits pay a monthly fee, in theory there use (as they bought into the apple platforms wholesale before htye realised just how bad they are) in educational circles is pure brilliance in practice they are unable to exert the admin controls and the kids can do whatever they like at whatever time they like, a problem that has existed since the release of ios5 is apparently that the admin lockout features don't work as they used to and you can now only ban app use at certain times or allow it, as everything is done via an app there kinda knackered ....
another school locally was slightly behind the curve in embracing this new tech and so they went with the cheaper and as it turns out superior surface pro's which can be given a group policy that allows only certain app's based on which lessons the pupils are in, it also doesn't require multiple gate way servers to admin there url control's for the entire school as each group gets a different virtual server that blocks or allows as required by the lessons (something else they cant implement with apple systems as the app's ignore the filters)
its more of a surprise that given so many problems with apple kit that there are still education establishments opting for it despite warnings issued by local councils about the issues of ineffective control mechanisms to provide child protection (you cant block pawn or social media apps) and that such devices need to be withdrawn until apple re institutes this ability (a memo issued over a year ago and is still extant as the problems still haven't been fixed......)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Oooooooooooo dear, what planet are you people from?
Having an i-Pad is a prerequisit for children these days. And not just because mummy and daddy use one all of the time since they discovered eHarmony. Children have to have an i-Pad or be face social exclusion. The i-Pad is perceived as the tablet to have whereas ANDROID tablets and kids tablets prove daddy isn't quite the high flyer that his wife claimed at the school gate - and on MumsNet.
Furthermore, the i-Pad your children have must comply to the unwritten rules of Top Trumps. No good having last years model or one that's only gotten WiFi. The "get me for my birthday" without asking please, is the iPad Air 128Gb with 4G. Because that beats everything. This term. You can get an IPad Mini, but your kids teacher might send you a letter saying  the mini is not really suitable for playing Fuzzy Felt Farm - because Miss has bad eye sight.
Did I say i-Pad too many times? Sorry I was sounding like a five year old whose friends have all got i-Pads!!
Dear Parent, here's a link to i-Pad > https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/compare/
Fixes: 47

Hasn't 'iPad' become a generic name for a tablet and people use it as such when making general comments about tablets.
Along the lines of a hoover.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Reminds me of local police officers only having iphones. All the ones I saw anyway.
The simple act of passing across a photo (missing person) turned into an overly complicated mess due to the apples file sharing restrictions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In my day we used pen and paper..
Now I feel old!!!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Ah the memories of the squeaky slate tablet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair

the squeaky slate tablet.

Was that a cure for the Squeaky Voice ?