cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headlights blinding drivers say the RAC.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Headlights blinding drives say the RAC.

Tough, is my answer to that, although I do understand the problem. But what is more important?

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/road-permits-and-licences/skip-licensing/highways-ac...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke

Racking my brains here, but did the 2CV have some sort of mechanical headlight adjustment? I've had a couple of them but for the life of me cannot remember how it worked.  

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, they had a knob to adjust the vertical aim of the headlights, so if you had a heavy load in the back, you could lower the light beam to compensate... Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, I think the whole headlight bar sort of tipped forwards of backwards.

Happy memories of a splendid little car. Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I seem to remember my old Renault 16TX having a knob to adjust the lights.

The knob behind the wheel had nothing to do with the lights.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@twocvbloke wrote:

The problem with lights on skips is the lights get pinched (along with any copper pipe in said skip), so they don't bother with them as they have to keep buying new ones each time the things are left to block up a street...

It cannot be beyond someones skills to weld a small metal box to the sides of the skip with one side made of thick unbreakable glass so a light could be placed inside and the box padlocked ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@gleneagles wrote:

so a light could be placed inside and the box padlocked

All skips legally obliged to have fitted reflectors would be an easy start and pretty cheap to do.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

It cannot be beyond someones skills to weld a small metal box to the sides of the skip with one side made of thick unbreakable glass so a light could be placed inside and the box padlocked ?

Beyond their skills, nope, but beyond their common sense, waaaaaaaay beyond that... Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

It's not just builder's skips is it, extremely dangerous though they are when unlit.

There are just far to many cars parked both ways round without lights, and often hard to see at night even when parked 'correctly' - but there we have it, far to many cars period, stationery on the road both day and night.

How the heck they are avoided beats me. Maybe we should be thanking those high intensity lights Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I remember during the 90s, a lot of cars had parking lights that lit up to make sure people avoided them, whatever happened to those?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ah yes, and Halfords used to sell them in the 60's. I had one on my old A30 and it sort of hung over the side window. Seem to remember it was totally useless.

They certainly sold some odd stuff back then. Stick-on rear window heaters that were also totally useless, and why the heck did I buy that stick-on windscreen compass - what was I thinking? Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I was thinking more of the cars themselves, they had some magic electronics in them that lit one sidelight and one tail light on the road-side as a marker light, thus making them visible at night (while the battery drained away to nothing)...

Highlighted
Fixes: 460

Another point to consider when parking the wrong way round is the front seat passenger.

They possibly have to get out of the car into a traffic stream which was the decision of the driver.

So he/she is thinking "I'm all right Jack, I'm getting out onto the pavement", "you can take your chances"

Not very considerate of the driver is it Tongue

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Headlights blinding drivers say the RAC.

@Minivanman wrote:

Bought this British made Lucas lamp from a French Brocante some years back, and it looks like a prewar (not sure which one) motorbike one. It also has a red light on one side and a green on the other but on opposites sides from the UK - so I guess it was an export model. Wink

I don't know about British vehicles having green lights but IDSTR Spanish vehicles having one green rear light many years ago; definitely that would have been before they joined the EU and we paid for all those nice motorways to be built.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@twocvbloke wrote:

I was thinking more of the cars themselves, they had some magic electronics in them that lit one sidelight and one tail light on the road-side as a marker light, thus making them visible at night (while the battery drained away to nothing)...

That feature hasn't disappeared, at least not with the VWs I've experienced over the years.  When leaving the vehicle you just leave the indicator stalk positioned to the left or right according to which side of the vehicle you want lit, and the side and tail lights on that side only magically illuminate!  Wink