cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headlights blinding drivers say the RAC.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 18

Re: Headlights blinding drives say the RAC.

Isn't a beam misalignment a MOT fail?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous wrote:

My cars all have in cabin adjustable headlight vertical aiming, to compensate for increased loads, causing the headlights to beam sightly upwards. 

To be fair they all do these days. Even many cars in the late 90s did. Most folks just forget to adjust them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As you will know changes to the MOT are taking place in May 2018.

One thing that can fail you is anything that is a danger to other road users so some retro fitted headlight kits may well result in a failure as it may not be possible to adjust the beams to prevent blinding other road users.

Equally anything fitted as non standard could invalidate your insurance if you have not informed the insurance company.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Isn't this a sort of throwback problem. Going back to the days where all our exported cars had to meet stringent regulations in various countries like Japan, including heights of lights, but imported cars just waltzed in.

One car I dislike behind me is a Juke type car (but might not be a Juke). The "sidelights" are perched high on the wings and I found them blinding when one was behind me. They're so high it's like someone standing by my rear windscreen with a couple of bright LED torches shining right in my face.

As they are the sidelights do they get any sort of test?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Headlights blinding drivers say the RAC.

...... and whilst we are on about blinding others, those that drive without lights at dusk or at times of poor visibility!

Regardless of either, and like those Volvo cars, my little Fiesta always has it's side lights on.  Light coloured cars with them off and cyclists without a high viz vest are both a collision waiting to happen.

Other end of the scale I know, but how can folk be so dim? Huh

PS. Now here's what you need!

Bought this British made Lucas lamp from a French Brocante some years back, and it looks like a prewar (not sure which one) motorbike one. It also has a red light on one side and a green on the other but on opposites sides from the UK - so I guess it was an export model. Wink

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Strat

Lights on or off, facing oncoming traffic like that is illegal surely as even without lights, at night your own car cannot pick out those red reflectors?

Mind you, I'm sure I once read of a driver who smacked into a builder's skip that was not showing a light at night, and was done for driving without care and attention. The car must have been a right off as well I'd imagine.

Highlighted
Fixes: 458

@Minivanman wrote:

Lights on or off, facing oncoming traffic like that is illegal surely as even without lights, at night your own car cannot pick out those red reflectors?

Absolutely @Minivanman, Rule 248 which I am sure many/most drivers are unaware of if our road is anything to go by.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

What about the cleanliness of our own screens;sometimes might that contribute to our being blinded? Then there is the deterioration of our own vision over time, even cataracts that may go unnoticed for some time.  

TBH even with both eyes operated on. I try to avoid night driving. If we are being blinded, we should consider our possible self contribution. Hmm?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Fixes: 458

I have blue eyes which makes me more sensitive to bright light including the sun and vehicle headlights.

I don't think there is a solution to this apart from night vision driving glasses which I currently don't have.

Good point about cleanliness of the windscreen both inside and out.

However when it's raining I can't do anything about that.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern

You are absolutely right of course, but the report was aimed at drivers in general I guess  rather than old duffers like me.

Not sure if I'd be driving at any time if my eyes were bad, although I do wear glasses now when I'm behind the wheel.

As for the windscreen, along with all my lights, as well as checking them (spare bulbs in the boot a must) I keep them clean and clear. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Maybe some young duffers, who think they're the opposite, need guidance too.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Strat wrote:

I have blue eyes which makes me more sensitive to bright light including the sun and vehicle headlights.

I don't think there is a solution to this apart from night vision driving glasses which I currently don't have.

Good point about cleanliness of the windscreen both inside and out.

However when it's raining I can't do anything about that.

It is possible to purchase glasses that have lens that reduce the level of reflection from car headlights and other sources, how effective they are for night driving or if they are worth the cost I have no idea.

Like others of my age I avoid driving at night if possible.

Changes to street & road lighting have not helped as the light is far dimmer than the older type of lighting.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

@Strat

Mind you, I'm sure I once read of a driver who smacked into a builder's skip that was not showing a light at night, and was done for driving without care and attention. The car must have been a right off as well I'd imagine.

I thought skips had to either be left on private property or if on the road lit at night.

Several years ago there was the tragic case of a young girl riding a motor cycle at night in poor weather with her visor down hitting a unlit skip which proved fatal.

Not sure if the owners got fined but most accidents could be avoided if people though a bit more.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles

Lights on skips? You'd certainly think and hope so. Sad

As for that owner or even the hirer being fined, criminal manslaughter would be nearer the mark.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The problem with lights on skips is the lights get pinched (along with any copper pipe in said skip), so they don't bother with them as they have to keep buying new ones each time the things are left to block up a street...