cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headlight bulb

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Headlight bulb

@petlew just made a comment in the "shed building" thread... about how many it would take to change a light bulb...

Well... that could be a good question... and later today, I will probably have the answer.. 

My "Low Beam" nearside headlight bulb failed yesterday... been carrying a couple of spares for the past 3 years, so it`s not done too badly.. ( car is now 6 yrs old )..  so, as it was a little damp, yesterday, put it off until this morning....

normally this operation would take me about 10 minutes... at the most......., including tea breaks... 

however, the stupid berks who designed the rear cowling for the headlamp, has made it so difficult, I cannot even remove the plug on the back of the bulb... cos I can`t get a grip of more than a finger and thumb on it.. and then I am supposed to twist the bulb and remove it,... replace bulb, and then replace the plug, then replace the waterproof dust cover..( which is about 4 inches diameter..) . so you would expect it to be easy ... unfortunately, the bulb is reset too far inside the cowling to get at .... so I`m off to a local garage to see if they can do it for me....

and of course the bill for that won`t be light...  Cry

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Headlight bulb

@shutter You're lucky its only a twist to get it out. Its not so bad on the off-side front bulbs on my car, but on the near-side the rear of the head-light assembly is within a couple of inches of the battery. Getting the dust cover off is an operation not for the faint-hearted, once the multi-way plug is eased off and out of the way, there is one of those anchored spider like spring clips that have to be pinched together to release the headlight bulb. Of course there is insufficient room to withdraw the bulb with the battery in the way, so that has to be disconnected and removed, a not particularly difficult job after the fancy covers are removed, but does seem to be totally unnecessary with a bit of forward thinking design.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

If it were that easy... I would not be so  peed off, having to take it to some garage guy to get the job done... Cry

Community Veteran

I usually let my garage do it. They employ a mechanic with long thin fingers and double-jointed wrists who, they tell me does it with no trouble at all.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
LifeonMars
Rising Star

If you live near a Halfords, it is easier to pay the £8 or £5 for them to do it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

On my old Mondeo, you had to physically REMOVE the headlight to get at the bulbs.
Found on one year when it failed, went to the garage (who I used to service it anyway) and they told me there is 2 levers you pull out allowing the headlight to slide completely out. After spending an hour on it, it was a 10 min job.
Not tried it on the Fabia yet. But on others you had to remove the battery to get at the NS one.
Fixes: 47

Same on my Focus.

I haven't had reason to replace a bulb yet but it entails removing the complete headlight unit Crazy2

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

On a 2CV, press the catch on the top of the headlamp, the lens assembly comes out, unclip the old bulb, pop in a new one, put the lens back in and make sure the catch is holding it, done... Smiley

The KISS principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid!!! Funny

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

On a car I had, the headlight had to be removed to change the bulb. All done and dusted in under 10 mins, BUT, had to go to garage/M.O.T. station to get the lights aligned. So be careful if the headlight has to come out cos without re-alignment it could fail the M.O.T. or even cause a few problems if you get pulled up by the boys in blue.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

@HairyMcbikerAs mentioned... it "should" be fairly easy.... pull off the waterproof rubber cover,.. grab hold of the bulb socket, twist and pull... remove bulb, insert new bulb, and replace in reverse order..    ( it`s just so blinking awkward to get a decent hold on the back of the bulb socket )..  and as for @petlew question.... the answer is THREE !! !>.. Me, driving the car to a local small garage workshop,  the mechanic to do the bulb change,... and the reception guy to take the money (£5).

It took less time to do, than to type this out...  and being a Yokshuman.. I`m gutted, that I had to pay someone else to do it.. Cry