cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

He's At It Again....

Community Veteran

He's At It Again....

Michael O'Leary boss of Ryanair wants to price suitcases off his airline.  He is going to add £20 to the present cost of £40 for each bag handled.  I have never been unfortunate enough to have flown Ryanair and this action makes it even more unlikely.
Bag Charge

17 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: He's At It Again....

Maybe Plusnet would like to offer him a job?  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Does Ryanair charge extra if you don't take their phone package ?,
or do they charge nearly double the going rate if the airport is in a Market-1 area ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I thought nearly all their airports were in a Market 1 area  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

To be fair I know people who use ryanair for day trips etc and they claim it's excellent value for their needs as they don't take luggage with them etc.
That said though, having looked at their costs a while back for travel with bags, check-in and all the rest, I was shocked that they can end up being more expensive than their rivals. I suppose the real problem is that the cost of running a plane is high and it has to be covered somehow.
I remember seeing OLeary on BBC watchdog moons ago and he was arguing that he wouldn't stop with the bolt on prices until he'd got the very basic cost of travel down to £Free. Somehow I don't ever see him achieving that as you still have to cover your fuel costs somehow.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's a business model that's much copied.
Like selling on ebay. Looks cheap up front until you add up all the charges.
And come September they're even going to take a cut of your postal costs.
Community Veteran

I don't disagree with all his ideas.  He is talking about selling advertising on the outside of his planes. He has also asked his pilots to cut flying speeds to save on fuel.  This will add 2 minutes to an average flight and save £`70m a year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo

He is talking about selling advertising on the outside of his planes

Well, That`s a bit Irish, isn`t it.........  Cheesy 
I mean... the only people who are going to see any advertising on the outside of a plane.... are...... ? ? ? ? ? 
Ground crew,.....ATC in the Tower......  Maintenance crew.... The crew... and ......
Other pilots... IF...... they get within visual range  at 25,000ft doing 400 mph !.... quite a distraction .... !..
Community Veteran

It would also be widely seen by passengers at the airport Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: billnotben
Like selling on ebay. Looks cheap up front until you add up all the charges.
And come September they're even going to take a cut of your postal costs.

Seriously? - Don't suppose you have a link to that? - That is really shocking.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It would also be widely seen by passengers at the airport Roll eyes Roll eyes

I doubt that very much.... "some" might notice it as they board a particular aircraft... but not all.... esp as they use those "boarding tunnel things" to access the aircraft...  ( not like the old days of walking across the airport to the steps ! ! ...
Cheesy
Community Veteran

A point about his idea to charge extra on top of the extra he already charges for suitcases...... If he can get people to travel without a suit case... then he does not need to pay his staff to handle the baggage at check in... and could probably negotiate lower landing/airport fees as his passengers do not need to have any baggage handled by the airport baggage handlers... !..
Ipso facto.. he can sack a load of people and save make even more money..... Shocked
Community Veteran

If you read the article he is quoted as saying reduced bags will mean reduced handling costs.
Also your point on people not seeing an ad on his planes is incorrect.  Ryanair does not generally use jetways to board passengers because they cost extra money. Ryanair park in the open area and passengers walk across the tarmac to board.
This type of advertising must work as at Gatwick HSBC have their name on all the jetways.
Community Veteran

Point taken . regarding boarding.... just found a U tube about boarding ryanair !....

scroll forward to 1:12 for boarding ! ! ! ... 
Community Veteran

This is quite a good "documentary" about Ryanair.....by a young kid... ( looks about 15 ! ! ).... it is 15 mins long... but worth a look ...