Anonymous
Not applicable

He fought the Law, and the Law won.

15 REPLIES 15
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: He fought the Law, and the Law won.

Twelve weeks eh, lives in Pickles Lane and is now in a pickle in prison. 

Result. Thumbs_Up

PS. That Motorhome one is a surprise. Just passed it on to my little bro who likes a drink now and then like the rest of us... and has not long bought a Motorhome.

"If a motorhome is parked and the driver is consuming alcohol inside, even if they have no intention of driving, they are committing an offence as they are considered to be in charge of the vehicle. Even setting up camp for the night to watch the sunset can have serious consequences, from a fine to driving disqualification. It also means if motorists wish to ‘sleep off’ a few drinks inside their vehicle, they are also committing an offence."

Blimey O'Reilly, who'd have thought.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Good, some sensible results from the courts for a change.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman  In the late 70's there was a discussion over whether you could be breathalysed in a Pub's car park which is thought of as private land.

It was decided that although the car park is private land, it is usually considered ‘public’ during general licensing hours as users of the pub are general members of the public who have been invited to enter the pub premises. A pub car park may not be considered a ‘public place’ outside these hours as use of the car park is usually restricted, therefore making the car park private.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

I think I might have heard about that but always considered it public and therefore 'nickable' just to be on the safe side. Like boy racers and mobile carphone users, drink drivers deserve all they get - which unfortunately is never enough in my book. 

Did I ever drink and drive? Ashamed to say yes in my much younger days but that was then, and this is now. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman wrote:

Twelve weeks eh, lives in Pickles Lane and is now in a pickle in prison. 

Result. Thumbs_Up

PS. That Motorhome one is a surprise. Just passed it on to my little bro who likes a drink now and then like the rest of us... and has not long bought a Motorhome.

"If a motorhome is parked and the driver is consuming alcohol inside, even if they have no intention of driving, they are committing an offence as they are considered to be in charge of the vehicle. Even setting up camp for the night to watch the sunset can have serious consequences, from a fine to driving disqualification. It also means if motorists wish to ‘sleep off’ a few drinks inside their vehicle, they are also committing an offence."

Blimey O'Reilly, who'd have thought.  

This must depend on where the van is located ?

For example if it was on your own private drive, Caravan site or private land then surely this would not apply.

@Minivanman 

I am ashamed to admit that I also drove whilst over the limit in my younger days, not immediately after drinking but driving to work the following morning when I had a good session the night before.

These days I would not even have a pint if planning to drive

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Gel
All Star
Fixes: 25
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

As with driving or parked in pub car parks when they are being used by the public during opening hours, I would guess the same must apply to caravan sites even when private as they used by the public during 'the season'?

Never aware if it myself, so I suppose anybody who has had a few jars and think they are above and beyond being nabbed for drink driving might be in for a big surprise and a nasty one at that.

Anyway, home here now and enjoying a couple of bottles of Shipyard American IPA whilst Mrs Minivanman knocks up a home made Pizza, and all in private. Thumbs_Up     

PS. Sat in your car parked up in your own drive.. but how did you get there and, if sat with the keys in the ignition?

Hate to argue that one in court. Sad

IDShot_540x540.jpg

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It must be very common on a big holiday campsite. Staggering back to your motor home.

But would a police force risk the fallout from any crackdown.

Not only from the site but also from all the holiday season dependant locals.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@billnotben 

I guess not, but if a 'complaint' was received?

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Isn't this where the police should use their discretion?

billnotben
Community Veteran

Then there would be the problem of who exactly would the police breathalyse?

Unless there is just one person in the motor home I imagine there could be a bit of a problem.

Or what would happen is there's one drunk person but he's not the driver, can't even drive, and the real driver is sober but he's out getting a bag of chips.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

What happens?

Well it's wait until the driver gets back, and then chip butties all round Thumbs_Up

billnotben
Community Veteran

What bribe a police officer with chips.

Nothing less than a battered sausage surely.Smiley

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Then you'd get done for 'salt and battery!