rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

He cannot be serious

tell me he is joking Crazy2  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40383699

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
60 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: He cannot be serious

Many young people will not think he is joking.

They cannot see the logic that if firms are compelled to pay such sums many will go out of business so it will be the lucky few whowill be on £10  a hour.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

As gleneagles says..

But this: "I don't think young people eat less than old people," he added. Thats what gets me. This has always been the attitude for many years that the young don't have needs and instead we should abuse them financially. If Corbyn wants to stop that then good.

MAny youngsters are lucky and have the bank of mum and dad.. but many don't. Many grow up in care, others like me had vulture parent(s) who demanded we support them instead of the way it should be - on the minimum wage too. I was sucked dry of life, enthusiasm and money by my parent and when i needed help the state kicked me in the teeth.

If this is going to get Corbyn into a position where he can drag the tories over the coals and either win or force them to change their morals then good. It needs to happen.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In my first job in 2002, aged 16, I got paid £80-something .............. A MONTH! 8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday , less an hour for lunch, 16 I was, and it made me think back then, "if I get paid this little, why should I bother getting a job in the first place?", so once I lost that job, I didn't bother getting another for 2 years, the young are treated like slaves, so it's only fair to pay them a fair wage for the amount of work they have to do to get anywhere, paying them a pittance and telling them to like it or lump it, that's a backwards and old-fashioned attitude, and having been in that under-paid, under-valued situation myself, I agree with corbyn (as much as I hate to admit it!!)...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

But what skills can a 16 year old bring to a job that deserves that sort of money?

As a know-nothing trainee living at home on far less than that a week - and yes, I'm aware of inflation - I was giving my parent's half my wages for what was in effect full board and lodging well into my late teens. Bargain, and I got my washing done. Thumbs Up

Corbyn is on another planet with this totally daft idea.Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Minivanman wrote:

But what skills can a 16 year old bring to a job that deserves that sort of money?

Isn’t that part of the catch 22? If someone is of the opinion that they are better off staying in bed claiming benefits that really doesn’t help them or society but actually adds a burden to it. But if someone in encouraged to get out of bed and turn up to work for that  £10 ph then they soon will have the skills that justifies the cost.

The skills and work ethic gained in early life could then set that individual on a course where they spend their working life paying taxes to the Government coffers and contributing to society as a whole.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

He is just trying to milk the feelings of the young Vote , He has not even said where he thinks this extra money will come from ?

Small firms will go bust , and prices will increase .

Did Ms Abbott suggest this to JC Shocked

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Why shouldn't the minimum, or living wage or whatever else you choose to call it be the same across the board.

We're talking mostly about unskilled work at this end of the spectrum and a 16yo is just as capable as an older worker.

Not only that but paying youngsters peanuts disadvantages older workers.

Its no different than using cheap foreign labour IMO...
Community Veteran

Votes are cheap when other peoples' money is paying for them.

Edit: apostrophe migration...

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

@Mook

Here's a novel idea Mook, let's not pay benefit to those who do not want to work.

In my day you would have to turn the world on its head if you wanted any free handouts, and nothing catch 22 about it. You went to work, learnt a skill, and then got paid more. Simples.

There was even a time when trainees were not paid at all but in return and after a few years or so, they got their papers or whatever and either stayed or moved on. Low wage in return for learning on the job worked in my day, so what's changed?

Being paid to stay in bed all day doing sweet Fanny Adams that's what, leaving it to those with half an ounce of respect and self worth to get out and make something of themselves without being bribed to do.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

In your day @Minivanman you could leave school on the Friday and start work on the Monday in a job you keep until you retired. Times have changed, the work simply isn’t there like it used to be but that’s not an excuse to pay peanuts.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Everyone deserves a fair pay for a fair days work , but why should someone who lays in bed all day get same as someone who spent 3 years learning a skill ?
Community Veteran

Well hopefully they don't as then there is no incentive to work, so if employers can pay a basic wage that is greater than the weekly benefits allowance surely that would encourage some people into work.

Isn't it all down to attitude as well, take the threads on Corporal Punishment along with National Service if these weren't done away with the younger generations would have a better understanding on the realities of life, the value of money, respect for society and those in it, and the ethics of hard work, but...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@7up

I understand what you are saying but nobody,'owns you' of course they have control of you until you are 18 or is it 16.

After that you are your own person and can do what you like. I have known a few people in my time who have been in similar situations to yourself and they left home as soon as possible, some joined the army or similar organizations which provided them with food, clothes and shelter.

There were other jobs, all low paid, that came with food and accommodation, hotel work and such like. This may not have been the job they wanted to do, low pay and few prospects but it was a stepping stone to something else, it provided the time and space to look for something better or undertake some sort of study.

It also gave you valuable life skills in working with people who had different opinions and ideas to yourself but who you had to get along with.

I had to get up early in a morning for a long day at work, could I still do that on a regular basis ? No chance, the longer I have been retired the harder it would be for me to do that now, the point being that you get into the habit or routine of doing something and do it automatically but for those who choose to stay in bed rather than work could they ever get back into the habit of getting up for work on a regular basis ?

The above is not directed at you it's just my general opinion of how some people have dealt with situations similar to yourself

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ordinary persons' pay is not that great. I saw an ad for bus drivers @ £9 per hour. Look here and it's clear that Corbyn's generosity would bring problems of massive pay adjustments, unless, that is, the country has a 1 band pay scale.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.