cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hawker Sea Hurricane...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Hawker Sea Hurricane...

We like once or twice a month to eat at the nice restaurant at the Old Warden aerodrome Bedfordshire, home of the renowned Shuttleworth Collection of vintage aircraft: http://www.shuttleworth.org/
During the summer months at least one day of the weekend has a display or event that many hundreds of enthusiasts attend, that for us make it impossible just to visit the restaurant without paying a quite large entrance fee, so we always check the website first..  
That doesn't mean nothing of interest goes on during the "off season" Old Warden is a working aerodrome with a number of aircraft visiting for a meal or just to refuel...Heathrow its not, but can get a little busy at times with light single engined, microlights and some visiting vintage aircraft, it is not unknown for the odd Spitfire to be parked on the apron.
Yesterday, 07/03) a photo-shoot was going on featuring a WW2 Sea Hurricane from the Collection. as we arrived the Hurricane was being pushed by a small army of willing enthusiast helpers (some of whom were very young indeed) out of one the Collection hangers supervised by the Collection engineering staff onto the grass area just Airside of the access gates.
It so happens the disabled car parking spaces are just alongside the airside gates so we had an excellent view of not only the Hurricane but of some of the photo-shoot as well.
Some of the many photo's I took are attached. The photo-shoot will go to a media display in the Collection itself in due course.
Before we arrived, another photo-shoot was going on with period costume clad models, one of whom in full naval uniform can be seen at the wingtip of the Hurricane assisting the push-out.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Hurricane...

Brilliant. I nearly didn't click on it because I expected it to be some boring weather related stuff  Cheesy
I used to work a RAF Staxton Wold which is a radar station. And has been since the 1930's. We sometimes had a flyby by classic aircraft and being inside the perimeter I was always pleased to get a wave. Childish I know but I felt like one of the team  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Hawker Sea Hurricane...

some nice photos there  Wink i love to see  historic aircraft maybe because of my life in the RAF .
i recently took my son to Yorkshire Air museum Elvington near York .
if your interested some photos here http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/ronwillsher/library/Elvington%202015?sort=3&page=1
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

@Petlew, they are nice pics. Thank you for sharing. Smiley
Community Veteran

Just a quick edit:
In response to PeterLoftus comment I changed the thread title from just "Hurricane" thank you Peter.
The naval character, as shutter may point out was dressed in the uniform of the WW2 Fleet Air Arm...not THE navy Wink   (was it called the FAA then?)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Marksfish
Grafter

Haven't been there for the best part of 30 years, should do really as I only live in Sandy. I quite often sit in a friend's garden in Caldecote on flying days to see what's going on. My Dad and his wife were the first to get married in the Swiss gardens when they started doing ceremonies  Smiley
Mark
Community Veteran

I sometimes go to North Weald and have lunch. No powered flying now but gliding is still popular. The Herts air ambulance is also based there.