cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you voted?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you voted?

I hope everyone is going to vote in this election. In the past it's been the case that in many constituencies the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion so it was understandable that many didn't bother.
This election there is going to be a lot of attention paid to the total number of votes for each of the parties nationally, so even if your local candidate gets a few thousand votes it is still well worth you casting your vote to add to the national picture.
So if you support UKIP, the Greens, BNP, Respect, Alliance, English Democrats, or the Official Monster Raving Looneys, or any other party (or even one of the other parties whose leaders we've seen more than enough off), get out and vote!
Tip: When I went to vote the polling station was busy and the lunchtime news was saying it looked like turnout could be higher than last time so there could be big queues and getting there early could be a smart move.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Have you voted?

Mine wasn't busy at all
However I went about 11.00 and most people would go either on their way to or from work (it is a small mainly commuter village)
One result which will be interesting is Farage (UKIP) versus Bairstow (Speaker)
Fixes: 104

Yep I've voted.. maybe we could have our own exit poll?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Apprentice
Grafter

Yes I have, I sent my postal vote off a week ago  Tongue
Lurker
Grafter

I voted - ours was pretty quiet, although I was there at 7.05 - since it's just over the road from my house.
Community Veteran

I'll be voting on the way to the pub this evening.
Few beers and a nice home-cooked meal with friends are on the agenda.  Smiley
The polling station for the last few elections only involved a 20-yard diversion but they've reverted to a previously-used hall and it now adds a whole 100 yards to my walk!
jmd
Grafter

I voted whilst taking Holly for her walk.................. the local Community Centre is just a bottom of my road.  A woman asked me for my number and I told her that I could not remember it and you did not need to bring your card with you - she was a bit taken aback.  I know when I used to do polling day duties for local council years ago we were told that the number takers were supposed to stay outside building and not stop people.  This lady was inside door of building [not the hall though] and was stopping people as they came in................ so there was a bit of a queue.  Once inside the hall, the staff there were very quick so no queue at that point.
Anyhow, Holly got some fuss off the policewoman that was on duty!
Community Veteran

The political "tellers"/representatives are definitely supposed to stay outside unless they are purely "observing".
Also, did you know that the only people allowed to wear rosettes (which MUST be suiably small - 3" to 4" max) or other obviously politically-relevant clothing or labels INSIDE the polling station, are the actual candidates or their agents.
(You can wear anything that doesn't relate to the candidates standing or their parties, it's only stuff that might directly influence voting that is prohibited)
PS. I never take my card and don't know my number so just go straight by the "party checkers" to the proper electoral staff with the register.
SRD
Grafter

Yup, I've voted.  This ward has a very high voting record, highest vote of the constituency in the last 3 elections.
WildRose52
Grafter

Yes, just got back in now -  and luckily I`d taken my own PEN as well.
Our voting booths have pencil crayons.
Given past controversies about voting fraud in both UK & U.S. I made
darn sure that my vote was in ink!
randpwar
Grafter

Yep, voted just after walking child no 1 to school; there seemed to be steady stream of people going in. I totally agree with your sentiments of cajoling people in to voting. People seem to be a lot more connected with politics this time around which can only be a good thing. Lots of general reasons I guess, the recession (or perhaps more correctly the parties differing responses to it), MP’s expenses provoking a wish to ‘shake them all up’, Lib-Dems doing okay presumably on the back of Clegg doing well in the leader’s debates. No doubt lots of reasons dependant on your own viewpoints none of which I’ll go into as the last thing anyone needs is me preaching to them; but yes, I don’t care which way you vote,  but vote!

Here's the bit about what you can and can't do in a polling station........no smirking now
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8661984.stm
Fixes: 47

I will do when I get home from work.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
I'll be voting on the way to the pub this evening.

Make sure you do it on the way to the pub as your opinions may have changed on the way home  Grin
Going to vote now on my way to the bank. Putting the whole journey off as there is roadworks in the middle of my local town between me and the bank!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sean
Make sure you do it on the way to the pub as your opinions may have changed on the way home  ;

Not relevant, the polls close well before I'll be leaving.  Cheesy
Community Veteran

True.