Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you had yours?

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Have you had yours?

@twocvbloke wrote:

Eat plenty garlic, it can help give your immune system a good boost to help prevent catching nasties, but also in fighting them off, and also helps to keep vampires at bay too, except NHS vampires, they seem to be resistant to garlic... 😂

The reason garlic works is that people never get close enough to pass the contagion on ( although most people get cold and flu from door handles rather than airborne ).

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

@Minivanman wrote:

@Strat 

Does flu respond to antibiotics?

I'm not sure that it does. 😷

I felt a lot better after 24 hours of antibiotics.

However it's the old parallel universe thing.

Would I have felt much better after 24 hours if I hadn't taken the antibiotics.

We'll never know.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Given that doctors are trying to cut down on the amount of antibiotics they have all to readily dished out in the past (and blamed the patient in the process) I have often wondered if instead they are now giving out placebos.

Highly unethical of course, but how would we know?

We could check the prescription of course and cross reference those we did not already know of such as Amoxicillin, but even so...

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@gleneagles wrote:

I Can guarantee you will always have a flu jab if you ever get the Flu......

I am not talking about the usual thing that people class as flu, headache, tempature up, sore throat etc, I am talking about real Flu

Get that and you cannot get out of bed as you are too weak to even stand....and if you are 65 or over with additional health problems it may be the last thing you will ever catch.

No excuse not to have one !

I'd agree with you about what some people call flu. If you've got flu, you certainly don't go into work. Indeed work is probably the last thing on your mind. I've had flu and I was bed ridden for well over 3 days solid, simply too weak to get up. Even then it took a good couple of weeks before I got back to work. Most people who think they have flu tend to have a heavy cold. Maybe what I had was just that!

I'm getting on a bit and even though work offer them to all for free (over 1000 people in my factory alone, must be over 4000 people offered it including the other factories) and I can have one at the doctors (for free), I won't be having one. I'm not totally convinced by this let's guess what strain will be more active this year approach.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:Given that doctors are trying to cut down on the amount of antibiotics they have all to readily dished out in the past (and blamed the patient in the process) I have often wondered if instead they are now giving out placebos.

We could check the prescription of course and cross reference those we did not already know of such as Amoxicillin, but even so...

I'm all for the clampdown on antibiotics. Way too many people think they knock out viruses, common cold etc. And one thing I have noticed over the past 9 months with my trips to hospital etc is that doctors will only prescribe medicine if they actually know what you have and that the prescribed medicine will actually do something. The old ways of just dishing out tablets and the like seems to be on the wane. And not a moment too soon.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Absolutely @idonno, but I'm afraid it might be too late as many are shown to be totally ineffective now anyway. 

Shutting the stable door comes to mind. 

*Minivanman goes off to check how his small crop of weed is doing* 🤥 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Highly unlikely that Doctors are giving out placeboes in place of antibiotics.....why risk their job ?

After all they are not personally paying for antibiotics.

In many cases a PM takes place after someone dies, questions would be asked if they died from something that could have been prevented by antibiotics.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Done in the name of research or maybe under the auspices of say the GMC? I'm sure it must happen in some circumstances otherwise why would they exist and how could they be trialed if not against a genuine illness.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Given that doctors are trying to cut down on the amount of antibiotics they have all to readily dished out in the past (and blamed the patient in the process) I have often wondered if instead they are now giving out placebos.

Which begs the questions;

1.  Where are the placebos manufactured, i.e  will Operation Yellowhammer ensure there is an adequate supply if the UK leaves the EU without a deal?

2.  Will people build up an immunity to them if they are over-prescribed?

🙄

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Now I am feeling sick with worry! 😱

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Placebo pills have an odd effect, it's all psychological, if you're convinced enough to believe they're real, they often work, of course those tend to be in relation to pain treatments in medical trials, as opposed to dealing with infections that could be life-threatening, but hey ho, if you don't mind being a guinea pig to see if a sugar pill & confidence in a doc's words can cure the flu, then have fun... 😂

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Interesting, but given there are various and newly emerging strains of the flu and it's of short duration, even anti viral treatment when prescribed would have no effect, so everybody that asks just give 'em a placebo... and "don't tell him Pike!"

That new Brexit deal might even be a placebo but if it gets prescribed and works, who cares. 😁

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'll just stick to my stink of garlic treatment, keeps the flu (and unwanted humans) at bay... 😋

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles wrote:

@Minivanman 

Highly unlikely that Doctors are giving out placeboes in place of antibiotics.....why risk their job ?

After all they are not personally paying for antibiotics.

In many cases a PM takes place after someone dies, questions would be asked if they died from something that could have been prevented by antibiotics.

The antibiotics are for the secondary infections that often happen with flu,  the virus overwhelms your immune system and allows opportunistic bacteria to take hold,  people often get chest infections after flu,  and all sorts of bacterial complications that will kill you even if the original flu virus did not. Pneumonia is a bacterial infection and can be worse than flu - I am sure every doctor knows that they should only prescribe antibiotics when they are absolutely required,  but wouldn't it be a shame to recover from the flu and then die of pneumonia.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Very true and my biggest concern as I get chest infections very easily and if flu let in pneumonia, I'd be pushing up those daisies in short order.

I had a taste of it way back in my 40s but being much younger managed to fight it off but now I'm not so sure - in fact I'm certain I wouldn't. 

If one didn't get me, the other would.