Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you had yours?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Have you had yours?

I'm not old enough to remember the 1918 pandemic but I do remember the Hong Kong flu of 1968

The H3N2 virus that caused the 1968 pandemic is still in circulation today

I was working for the Electricity Board and there were many people off sick luckily I did not get it  but doing plenty of overtime to cover

Brian A

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I Can guarantee you will always have a flu jab if you ever get the Flu......

I am not talking about the usual thing that people class as flu, headache, tempature up, sore throat etc, I am talking about real Flu

Get that and you cannot get out of bed as you are too weak to even stand....and if you are 65 or over with additional health problems it may be the last thing you will ever catch.

No excuse not to have one !

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous  wrote 'The vaccine for the UK is still grown in hens eggs'

Well we are in UK and this is the vaccine we had this year FLUCELVAX Tetra ( It was our local doctor,  on NHS and it is not cultured in hens eggs )

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/first-cell-based-quadrivalent-vaccine-available-for-2019/2020-flu-season/20206011.fullarticle?firstPass=false

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote:

Well we are in UK and this is the vaccine we had this year FLUCELVAX Tetra ( It was our local doctor,  on NHS and it is not cultured in hens eggs )

Although I don't know the names of the vaccines or what methods were used in their production, ISTR there wasn't enough of the primary 'preferred' one to go around last year and a secondary 'next best' one had to be used for some people.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@gleneagles  thanks for your comments but my decision is still no...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous 

Remember 1918?

Chance would be a fine thing.

Smiley🙂

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Talking about vaccines, one of the staff at my GP's surgery asked if I'd like the pneumococcal vaccine.  I'd never heard of it before so I said I'd read up about it first.  Have any of you had it, did you have any side effects, and would you recommend it?

I'm generally healthy and have only had 'proper' flu twice, the one in the late 1960s when half of my class of 30 were off sick at any one time, and the 'millennium flu' which I got a year later than everyone else.  Like @wotsup many people I've spoken to about the flu vaccine say they've had mild flu symptoms after the vaccine so I haven't considered it worth having so far, but I'm not getting any younger.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've had flu a couple times in my life, full on days lost, incapacitated, hallucinating & in pain everywhere flu, but twice in 34 years, I'll take the risk of not having a jab that could go to someone more vulnerable like a child, plus I'm scared of needles, hate the sensation of them being stuck in my skin for any reason, bloods being the worst... 😣

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

I've had the (real) flu a few times; once in 1986 when I also had glandular fever and scarlatina. It took me best part of 6 months to recover enough to return to work!

It annoys me somewhat when people say they have 'the flu' yet are sitting up watching TV, taking the dog for a walk or shopping. As @gleneagles says - you can't even get out of bed with the greatest will in the world.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Flu is definitely something you can't just take a couple days off and sit & watch telly with, what I do remember of my two instances, I spent most of the time stuck in bed "watching" whatever the weird nonsense my hallucinating brain was creating, had the TV been on I'd have probably freaked out at even weirder things going on I'm sure, it was pretty scary...

Highlighted
Fixes: 459

My daughter nags me to have a flu jab but I've never bothered.

I had a dose of flu about a 18 months ago and I was in bed for a couple of days and then stuck in the house for a few more.

When I was able to leave the house my daughter took me to a medical centre where I was prescribed a course of antibiotics which pulled me out of it.

I'm not concerned about needles as I was a blood donor for quite a few years.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 79.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Strat 

Does flu respond to antibiotics?

I'm not sure that it does. 😷

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Eat plenty garlic, it can help give your immune system a good boost to help prevent catching nasties, but also in fighting them off, and also helps to keep vampires at bay too, except NHS vampires, they seem to be resistant to garlic... 😂

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Strat 

Does flu respond to antibiotics?

I'm not sure that it does. 😷

The antibiotics are for the secondary infections that often happen with flu,  the virus ties up your immune system and allows opportunistic bacteria to take hold,  people often get chest infections after flu.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

Talking about vaccines, one of the staff at my GP's surgery asked if I'd like the pneumococcal vaccine.  I'd never heard of it before so I said I'd read up about it first.  Have any of you had it, did you have any side effects, and would you recommend it?

I was offered the pneumonia jab at the same time as flu jab ( BOGOF ) but being of sound mind and after the problems I had with a previous flu jab i told the doctor I would see how the flu jab went and go back later for the pneumonia shot.  I know a couple of people that have had the pneumo jab and been OK.