cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you had your 15 minutes of fame yet ?

Community Veteran

Have you had your 15 minutes of fame yet ?

They say everyone has their 15 minutes of fame at some point in their life.
Have you had yours yet ? Mine keep following me around  Grin
I won a national computer programming competition for schools at a very young age (around 12 years old IIRC) - I went to an awards ceremony and picked up the prize with my fellow programmers and only found out in later life that we were the only ones to enter the competition (in those days the school had one computer).
Later on, I was filmed for what I thought was an internal training video for a company I was working for. I got a phone call from the mother in law a month or so later excited telling me she was watching me on the television !  Grin Since then I've made numerous appearances on the television and radio for trivial small stuff and acted as an "expert" on many computer and electronic related issues.
Oh and the Frankenstein washing machine incident - I had a washing machine that was doing my head in so I ripped out all its innards, rebuilt it from scratch (including new motor drivers and an RS232 interface) and wrote a program in Windows to control it. I put a couple of pics up on a car forum I was a member of and the flaming thing went viral with tens of thousands of hits and requests from laundrettes all over the world for me to computerise their washing machines  Grin We even nicknamed the software "Winwash 2000". I was nominated "Geek of the week" by b3ta.com - http://www.b3ta.com/newsletter/issue138/
Hopefully my final 15 minutes of fame has been and gone as I was called by a radio station on my 40th Birthday and had to do a live interview - I did get a free meal out of it though  Grin
What are your moments of fame ?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Have you had your 15 minutes of fame yet ?

Yes, I have... I was working for an electronics company in Leicester ( only been there for 2 weeks) in the basement stores..... Princess Margaret was visiting the city and the firm I was working for... she was due to tour the firm, but not the basement stores.... ( was a bit dirty and dreary and would have cost a fortune to "do up" for the visit )... on the production line, there were a couple of spare benches, and I was asked to go and sit at one, and "look like you know what you are doing"..while she passes by...... Ooops!... who did she stop and talk to?    who was on Telly ?  who was in the local paper ?  photographed with Princess Margaret?    YUP ......  Me... !... and the other personnel weren`t too chuffed about it, cos they had been there years !! ! ! ...
Also, won a Nationwide photocomp, with Panasonic... and came 3rd in a similar Nation wide comp with Fuji cameras...
Community Veteran

Many years ago I used to have an interest in horse racing and owned a share in a number of  horses.  One horse won a race at Newmarket and I appeared on TV in the winners enclosure. Smiley
Fixes: 124

A camera panned across me when I was a spectator at the, I think, Masters Snooker at Wembley back in January 2008.
My daughter rang me that evening to say she saw me. Does that count?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Mav..... not really, as it probably did not last 15 minutes  Grin Grin

Cry Cry

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

RichAllen
Grafter

I've been mentioned in the Sheffield Star twice over the years, once in a feature about my old School, and then in the 1996 GCSE results pages, because surprisingly at Sheffild College there was only me who passed English never mind the fact I got an A! WOOT! Go me!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: picbits

None! (Well assuming you're talking about being on TV").
Of course I've been seen out and about in supermarkets, town centres, on trains, on busses and all over the place in many places Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

I missed out on being on Calendar years ago, I was elected Foreman of a renovation job on the old Burton Street School in Sheffield (where they did the Job Centre scenes in the Full Monty) back when I was on the Prince's Trust, but the day they came from Calendar I'd gone for an interview for a job at Oxfam's Campaigns Office on Glossop Road (opposite Hallamshire Hospital)

Just remembered I won a phone-in competition on Capital Radio back in 1983 on "Beat the Intro" I think it was called. Won a £5 record token and a letter signed by John Sachs - still got it somewhere (the letter, not the token).
Go a few calls the next day from friends.
Now, that MUST count  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Still waiting for my 15 minutes, it better be fairly quickly at my age ! Smiley
Fixes: 47

I received 1st prize in my year at college, a book token but apart from that a fairly mundane life.
Running a mixing desk for a live band was fun.....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen
I've been mentioned in the Sheffield Star twice over the years, once in a feature about my old School, and then in the 1996 GCSE results pages, because surprisingly at Sheffild College there was only me who passed English never mind the fact I got an A! WOOT! Go me!

You've just reminded me - I was in a national newspaper with it stating I attained 10 Grade A GCSE's. I don't have a clue where they got that information from as I only took 8 (and didn't get all "A" grades) and did a couple of 'O'Levels a couple of years early.
I also was mistaken for a fireman and was hailed as a hero in the local newspaper for putting out a car fire in a crowded carpark. If you looked closely you could see the "Domino's Pizza" logo on the back of my hi visibility jacket and on my helmet - I'd just got back from a delivery, spotted the fire and legged in and grabbed a fire extinguisher  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I "appeared" on Radio 4's You and Yours programme. I didn't meet any of the presenters/journalists face to face. I was stuck in a small room at Broadcasting House in London. The room was windowless, dark and the size of a dog kennel. I had head phones a microphone and a red light which indicated when they were recording. The presenter was in another studio up north somewhere.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: picbits

Been in the Evening Gazette on Dyslexia, plus Light Pollution from Centre North East, plus been on BBC Radio Tees again on Dyslexia.
[Edit]
Oh and been in the Evening Gazette about my old School.