cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever been sacked .?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: Have you ever been sacked .?

I have never been sacked but there were a few things I could have been sacked for if  I had been found out (nothing illegal)
A number of people I worked with were under the impression the place could not run without them, I was the opposite and kept stressing it could run without me and I should be made redundant, they finally gave in and made me redundant 18 months before my official retirement date.
To be honest I doubt I could have lasted another 18 months as my stress levels were so high along with my blood pressure that anything could have happened, it's ironic that for the first 30 years I enjoyed the job, it was the remaining years that became a nightmare.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Both companies who gave me the push had previously given me training in how to fire people achieve shareholder value.  So when it was happening to me I felt sympathy for the HR person doing the deed. It never feels good to do that to someone, though there was one exception where one guy had spent the week bad mouthing his boss (me) and others.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
robski1
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

Like Hobo, I've never been sacked but I have had to sack one or two people.
The most difficult thing I have had to  do is make people redundant, when you know they are good people and you know their families. Embarrassed
Fixes: 158

Never been sacked but been made redundant a couple of times.
The last one was when the company I worked for decided to outsource IT support.
Fortunately I was 12 months away from retirement so was happy to accept.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0 (64-bit)

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I got sacked from a few cash in hand type jobs as a teenager, there was never a question of getting paid for things you hadn't done though indeed only one of the employers even bothered to pay me for the weeks worth of work I had done when they sacked me on the morning that should of ended with a pay packet /
generally though I couldn't of given a toss about them as they were just something to do instead of hanging at the local park getting up to mischief, I got given early retirement from my last job though, which I was(am) both happy and sad about, happy because realistically I couldn't do enough of it to feel good about being there, sad because I'd been good at what I did for more than half my life at the time ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you