cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have marketing got it wrong? ( borrowed title )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have marketing got it wrong? ( borrowed title )

Not sure if this should go in the above  original title, or start a new thread here, so. as it does not concern Plusnet contracts directly, here we go...
British Gas.... currently running an ad on the tv. about their fleet of service fitters, flying all over the place to fix anyone`s gas boilers.  (don`t like the background music, nor the actual advert really)  BUT...
This morning, got a envelope through the door.... (we are not British Gas customers) addressed to my missus.... (I pay the bills, and they are in my name !) 
inside is a small leaflet, with a credit card sized magnetic label, with the British Gas number on it, to stick to your boiler, in case you need emergency fixing of same...
We have just had our boiler replaced about 18 months ago, and the "warranty" has probably run out, we do have a service number "just in case", which is also on the boiler...
the point here is.... British Gas have had a pretty poor reputation in the past for quite a few reasons, (including prices)... and the "marketing technique" of this particular service, has definitely caught my eye. ...Someone has really thought about how to get the message across to the "potential" customers.... The TV advert did nothing for me, but a "direct mail" approach in this case ..... worked for me... it is now stuck on the boiler, and I will consider calling them if the need arises.  Smiley
5 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: Have marketing got it wrong? ( borrowed title )

@shutter
British Gas may have a poor reputation as an energy supplier, but I have held a service contract with them to maintain my central heating system for the last 14 years, and can only commend them. The contract includes an annual service, arranged usually in late Summer. Only last week, after a long weekend away, we returned home to a cold house and no hot water; the system pump had failed. Replaced within 12 hours and a faulty radiator thermostat replaced to boot!
community
Grafter

ditto for me
I have enjoyed excellent service from BG for a number of years having signed up to an insurance scheme with them a number of years ago and renewed every year.
I have had boiler cleaning annually all the time each year and any faulty parts  for ANY of the central heating have been replaced within a few days.
So there you are.. they have at least 2 grateful customers!!!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am lucky to have an excelent local Gas Engineer who gives a  quote and sticks to it, if extras turn up no matter.  and for me a lot cheaper than the BG insurance
community
Grafter

That's very good to have a  local engineer but it depends on how many times you need repair and what he charges each time.
For example , I have been fortunate (or unfortunate!) to have had some rather serious problems with my CH system which woud have cost me considerably more to get an independent engineer rather than use BG for free (not truly free, of course but for a premium which was far less than the bills would have been)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes, I suppose it is a bit like Private Health Insurance, versus the National Health Service....  Undecided
It was mainly about the "marketing" of the product that I was concerned about.... On the one hand, I would not have considered calling British Gas for any service, based on the current TV ad campaign., but because they used the "magnetic card" and direct marketing approach, they now have an equal chance with the original boiler supplier... as both appear on the front of the boiler !.