cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been burgled? No seriously

Fixes: 105

Have I been burgled? No seriously

OK this is gonna sound bonkers, which is why I'm putting it in general chit chat.
I'm away with the kids at my parents and have using SSH to check some stuff on my Mac at home.
It was working last night but when i came to try it this morning it I couldn't get putty to connect.
So I'm I been paranoid wondering if I've been burgled or whether the Mac has crashed?
I turned the ping off on my router so i can't try that.
However my usage on VMBU is going up through the day as you'd expect if a router was on the end of it.
Anyone care to scare or reassure me? My answer machine is still working so that hasn't gone if I have!
Huh
Will Moderate For Thanks
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Have I been burgled? No seriously

Have you got a neighbour you can call?  Do you know anyone in the neighbourhood you could call?
get them to go round the back of the house and check it out..... failing that call the local police (not 999)
nearest your home, and ask them to go and check, because you tried to access your computer, and it did not respond....
If the house has been burgled, the perpetrators are unlikely to pinch your answer machine, as there is no value in it.... not even worth a £1 in a pub full of junkies...  Undecided

Thanks for the reply Shutter..
Hmm sadly don't know any of the neighbours numbers or anything.
I'd feel a bit of a plonker ringing the police  Sad
We're back home tomorrow so don't if just to leave it or not.
Would hope the alarm would alert the neighbours.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: adiewoo
Would hope the alarm would alert the neighbours.

Unless you know them well and have given them keys and codes, NO. It will just annoy them.  Sad
Community Veteran

You may feel a "plonker" calling the police....... but how can they hope to follow a trail that is over 24hours old, your stuff may still be " available" if the local plod know the M.O. they might just know where to go knocking.... Call them..... you pay their wages..... get them to work for you....  Even if it is a "false alarm", they will not charge you extra, and you will get a call giving you reassurance that everything is o.k. and you will not be going home full of anxiety, and possibly crash the car because of it....  Embarrassed
Call them      now
Fixes: 47

They will want to know and you'll sleep better tonight.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

I think we want to know too -  so we can all sleep better tonight........................... Undecided

Hi - sorry for keeping you in suspense (if you really were), everything was ok. Managed to get someone to check but as we were travelling back today I couldn't get to post.
My Mac had shut down it's SSH server for some reason, who says they are more reliable than a PC Sad
Thanks for posts and advice.
Will Moderate For Thanks
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for letting us know - very glad that things were OK. Smiley
Community Veteran

Yes. Thanks for update, and glad everything is ok    Smiley      (cept for the mac)....  Cry Undecided

Got me thinking though, is ignorance bliss?
If I wasn't trying to connect to home I wouldn't have been bothered. Maybe I won't try in future  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Just a quick word of advice: If you have a burglar alarm do let someone have a key and let your neighbours know the details of this person so that it can be switched off if necessary.
I was involved in a case fairly recently where someone (who had no dealings with the neighbours) had gone off abroad and their burglar alarm activated shortly after leaving.
Having no contact number, the neighbours informed Environmental Health who eventually obtained a warrant (noise abatement/nuisance) to force entry to silence it.
The final bill (quite high) would, of course, be passed to the owners. Not a nice ending to their holiday!
Fixes: 47

Glad to hear everything was ok Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation