cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hastings Direct

Fixes: 123

Hastings Direct

I've had both home contents and car insurance with Hastings Direct at various times over the last 10 years and always had a good service from them but, apart from this year's contents renewal being too high, there was no advertised free-phone or inclusive calls number even for making a claim.
Eventually found an 0800 number to ring to ensure that there was no auto-renewal still in place. There was a problem with the line their end and it took some time to get through. After going through security the agent wanted to ask a load of dumb questions which I was not prepared to answer as I simply wanted to ensure the auto-renewal was cancelled. Eventually the agent agreed to cancel without my answering his questions.
I subsequently filed a complaint particularly stating the lack of free or inclusive telephone contact numbers but also mentioning the above call and difficulties getting through.
Having listened to my call they have upheld my complaint, promised to make the free and inclusive call more obvious on their website and in correspondence and are sending me a cheque for £40! Result!
That's a total of over £500 of goodwill gestures from several companies this year.
I really am becoming a miserable ol' git  Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Hastings Direct

I don't Believe it ;-)
I refuse to use them after the problems with my car being damaged while in their care.
MightyMouse
Grafter

"I really am becoming a miserable  rich ol' git "
There, corrected for you.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
That's a total of over £500 of goodwill gestures from several companies this year.

You should write a self help how to complain book. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That could be dangerous ground......
Some would complain it was too expensive  Shocked
Others might complain, if it didn`t work  Cry
Fixes: 123

Quote from: billnotben
You should write a self help how to complain book. Smiley
It's not that difficult to do:
1. Before contacting the company
    a) Never phone, email or write a letter in the heat of the moment - you may come to regret it later. Take time out to collect your thoughts and calm down
    b) Jot down what your grievances/issues are, have any previous correspondence/bills/etc available for reference (including the name of the CEO - it can help to throw that name in at the right moment)
    c) make a note of what you feel would be an acceptable minimum resolution
    d) be prepared to take notes (include date and time, name of the person(s) you spoke to, what was said/agreed, etc)
2. No matter how frustrated or angry you are (or the agent makes you feel) remain polite and courteous at all times
3. State your grievance concisely and succinctly. Try not to deviate from the main issues
4. Do not be put off by the agent. You are most likely paying their wages (but do not say that). If you meet a dead end, do not argue, simply ask for a senior person to talk or their email address
5) Be prepared to back down occasionally. Being stubborn is not always going to get you what you want although being firm will most likely help
6) Try not to be too informal. I usually insist on being called Mr rather than by my first name
That's about it really. Preparation, for me, is the important part.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

My best result this year was £470 refund from British Airways for a delayed flight Smiley Smiley
Last week I complained to Wilkinson Sword and they sent me about 18 months free razor blades Smiley