cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has your taxi driver passed the test?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Has your taxi driver passed the test?

Bournemouth council have designed an examination for taxi drivers that most of us would fail...... including this poor hapless soul, who has been a taxi driver in Bournemouth for years, He knows every street, and place of interest, etc.etc.etc. yet he cannot get his licence renewed because he failed the "English" test.....
(By the way, he is 50 years old, and English).....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1023041/Taxi-driver-banned-driving--use-apostrophes.html

Edit:-  Before anyone goes on about "Well what do you expect from the Daily Mail..... this was first brought to light by the local paper the "Bournemouth Echo".....
33 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: Has your taxi driver passed the test?

I just wonder what would happen if contributors to these topics had to pass an English test before they were allowed to comment.
Maybe the topics would be very quiet?
Seriously, ------
Why did Bournemouth Council feel the need to have this examination. I wonder if some of their Councillors would pass the test?
Is there a test to qualify as a candidate for a vacancy on that Council? Perhaps someone knows.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Prior to the recent local council elections, every time any leaflets that were pushed through the letterbox contained any spelling/grammatical errors I (helpfully) corrected them using my favourite red marker pen, and returned them to the canvassers when they came knocking doors.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

One of the Councillors was interveiewed on local tv last night and asked a similar question
his response was to the effect that the people would able to hold a serious conversation with the taxi driver and he would be educated enough to be able to hold that conversation, thereby enhancing the journey !
Surely he has enough to cope with, traffic, pedestrians, route, alternative route, speed limits, driving skill, etc (to name a few !)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I am all for the correct use of apostrophes but how many cabbies communicate with their passengers in writing? Traditionally it is greengrocer's (sic) who are said to need training in this area.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and dont forget most people in Bourn (with a spoon in)mouth Posh
N/A

Quote from: Bob
I just wonder what would happen if contributors to these topics had to pass an English test before they were allowed to comment.

Followed by:
Quote from: Bob
Seriously, ------
Why [...snip]

Its always dangerous to bring up the subject of grammar whilst posting here! Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: James_H
Its always dangerous to bring up the subject of grammar whilst posting here! Grin
Yep - mine died a great many years ago  Cry
Perhaps Bournemouth should make passengers produce a GCSE ( A-C) in English before being allowed in a " for hire" vehicle.  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Did your grammar go to Bournemouth to Die, a lot of people do
Shutter nearly made it but couldn't get his leg over the Solent, And Couldn't afford a Taxi
N/A

Or perhaps it just feels like that...
/ducks
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Did your grammar go to Bournemouth to Die

Nope - she went yesterdie  Crazy
N/A

It was better weather yesterday I reckon.
Maybe you should send he to Bury next?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

No Shutter was last in Mouldyhall, thats near enough to Bury St Edmunds

Sorry my atlas was a bit adrift, had the wrong glasses on it should have been Mildenhall
Fixes: 47

I've just read the link and it's a joke right?...it has to be Grin
he would be educated enough to be able to hold that conversation

How the devil do you pronounce an apostrophe and how can you tell when someone's not using it in speech...crazy Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you have to imagine it a do and slight pause, didnt they learn yu nufin at skule