cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody here used an Amazon Echo

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Has anybody here used an Amazon Echo

I'm always on the lookout for anything that will make life easier for my disabled wife. One of my biggest problems is staying in touch with her when I'm working part time during the day.

Mrs P can have severe difficulties using her hands, so even using a big-button phone set to answer with any button can be a trial for her. She is more likely to drop the phone on the floor.

So I'm considering buying the Amazon Echo 2nd Generation, since this device will handle (it say's) phone calls as long as one end is using the iPhone or Android app (iPhone in my case). Two Echo users can also message or call but I'm not so interested in that. 

To be honest I'm not really much interested in the other "features" of the Echo much advertised on TV, but it does seem to me that this one aspect may well work usefully for us.

Has anybody on this forum experienced using an Amazon Echo, particularly if used as a phone replacement, and can offer any advice or comments.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
RJM
Rising Star

Re: Has anybody here used an Amazon Echo

I haven't personally used one but, a friend has and it works OK.

Here is a demo via CNET:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgH3Kjx1PQY

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

There is another device coming that uses your land line and may be a better choice based on your needs @petlew it's called the Amazon Connect. You can find it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=echo+connect&linkCode...

Fixes: 154

I haven't used it as a phone replacement, but have played with the voice part through the alexa app on my phone to the echo.
it worked pretty well and was clear.
This wasn't an exhaustive test by any means though.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Community Veteran

@Mook, That's interesting and looks like it could be one answer but, unless I'm reading it incorrectly, it looks like an add-on to an Echo to use a land-line rather than a stand alone device,.Anyway I've clicked the "send me details when available" button.

Thank's for the info and link.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Recently got an Echo upstairs & an Echo dot downstairs, not tried the phone calling function out yet.

There handy devices, so far ive used it for radio, music, ask it a question, news updates etc.

Only had them about a month but we are finding there handy devices to have.

If you wait till there on special offer, the Echo with built in speaker normally drops from £90 down to £70 & the Echo dot normally drops down from £50 to £35.

Community Veteran

Can I thank you all who have responded to me, in particular mook for what may turn out to be useful. So far none have used an Echo for phone replacement. I did though download the kindle version user guide and it does seem that it will do what I want, although not its primary purpose.

So I have gone ahead and ordered one, it should arrive tomorrow.

I'll report back in time as to its progress.

PowerLee
Rising Star

One thing to be aware of - there is a setting in the Alexa app for voice purchasing & the default setting is ON.

You can pin protect voice purchasing or switch it off completely in the app - just in case anyone reading this thread has children who will be interacting with an Echo device.

Community Veteran

Thanks for the PowerLee, I checked the iPhone app and switched off that setting in spite that the device hasn't been delivered yet.

I will however check that having the device working doesn't switch it back on again.