Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anybody else privately enjoyed "Last Choir Standing"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Has anybody else privately enjoyed "Last Choir Standing"

?
Or at least look forward to the later rounds?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Has anybody else privately enjoyed "Last Choir Standing"

No.
We gave it a go but it's a contest too far for us...
Will Moderate For Thanks
jmd
Grafter

I think it will get more interesting as the series progresses - some of the choirs I felt were  quite good.
However, I have been spoilt since I moved to Worksop in respect of choirs.  We have some excellent concerts at The Crossing[www.thecrossing.co.uk]  and some of these have featured local choirs - Worksop Choir and Ryton Chorale - who are both very good.  We have also had the opportunity to hear part of the Cantamus Choir [and the whole choir is coming in September] which has featured on TV, and other choirs from further afield [next week the Lincoln Choral Society], excellent musicians.  I have been attending on average 2 concerts a month since last October!
Therefore I think feel a bit better able to judge nowadays what choir would be listenable [?] to for 2 hours!  And, some of those chosen for the 15 I do not think would carry a whole evening's concert.  It is not many choirs who only appear regularly in a Concert and perform one item - mst have to do most of a evenings concert so need to be able to perform a variety of styles of music.  But I am not a musician so other people will probably have totally different ideas on this.
We will just have to see what the great BBC British Voting Public feels are good!  And whether folk can last out the whole of the contest not sure that choirs have the same appeal as a "would be Joseph or Nancy" for example.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Didnt you change over to ITV!  and watch more rubbish then 
to much take a deep breath, wait for 5 smile or grimace, try and guess do we or didnt we
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmdlp

not sure that choirs have the same appeal as a "would be Joseph or Nancy" for example.

Uhmm, you may be right Josie. This is slightly different from the usual run of the mill televised contests of this sort, in as much the choirs are made up of ordinary people who actually have to work hard and as a team. And so far sucking up to the judges (except the pies) has not seriously occurred, or too obvious how it could be done. I wonder a little if there's an eye on a commercial future of the winners before they're actually selected, and also if there's really any real chance of a technically superior male voice choir winning over rapping, musically inferior group of photogenic youngsters.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Javert
Grafter

Overall, I’m enjoying the programme (oh, the shame!) but, of course, the biggest problem is there are far too many choirs to fit into the time slot – and whatever they sing, we will only hear a very short excerpt.  My main ‘bone of contention’ is with the Judges who should be just that and remain separate from the contestants.  Their role is to judge – not to participate. In the first programme, it was just embarrassing to watch Watson trying to join in – e.g. with “Only Men Aloud”, and being so out of his depth. 
As has already been said (thanks for your posting jmdlp!) could each choir do a varied enough programme for their own concert?  For example, “A Handbag of Harmonies” were fun the first-time around – different, exuberant.  But for me, the feather boas and handbags soon became boring, and, for a choir of that size, there was far too much activity which soon came across as disorganised.  How would they manage a slow, romantic ballad? Could I sit through a 2-hour concert of theirs?
I was surprised at the judges’ comments in week 2 for “Only Men Aloud” – who had previously performed a great and very animated version of “What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor?”  In their summary the judges’ spoke of their disappointment that this song didn’t have the “wow!” factor of their first song – yet every song is different and has to be sung differently. It isn’t going to be performed in the style of the first song; there has to be variety. 
Remember that when the “great British public” votes – they won’t necessarily pick the best choir!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not really fussed about "big" choirs..... like a hundred welshmen singing on a mountainside !..... (although I do like to hear a small Welsh choir accompanied by real Welsh Harpists.  Really beautiful sounds. 
My favourite style of "choir" singing is "barbershop" style..... big thing in the U.S. but not so well known over here.  I prefer it when there are 4 or 6 for the small size, and around 10 to 15 for the large size.  (Choirs, not dress sizes! ! !)  Cheesy
Community Veteran

No, and I am sick of this type of talent contest programmes. I would rather watch paint dry.
Community Veteran

Ah yes, Barbershop are really quartet's so strictly speaking shouldn't be quin or sextets. There was some outrage in the states a few years back when "female" barbershops appeared in competition (and were occasionally somewhat reluctantly announced as winners, probably more for PC than ability) as they were strictly male only. I believe it was from there that 4+ voices were presented as (sorry ladies) as women don't have the extended (bass, baritone, tenor and alto) range the men can deliver. To overcome the deficiency backing instruments were introduced, Barbershop should be unaccompanied. What the girls do best is very tight harmonies, and do compete with the men. But there's something about a really good unaccompanied male barbershop quartet that even national choirmasters envy.
I voice tested as baritone for a local British barbershop once, but suffer from a basic inability to sing, much as I like the sound they make...

Javert
Grafter

Quote from: petlew

I voice tested as baritone for a local British barbershop once, but suffer from a basic inability to sing, much as I like the sound they make...

Ah, yes - that would be a problem!  Wink
But well done for trying!
John