cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Thunderbird laid an egg?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Has Thunderbird laid an egg?

I couldn't see another forum where this fitted, no doubt a mod will move it if necessary.
Since the last routine update for Thunderbird, the spell-checker has been somewhat odd,. It randomly "red-underlines" parts of correctly spelt words, usually the last three or four letters, and doesn't offer a correction with a right-click.
It is also incorrectly presenting web-links with the same partially red-underlined parts, and these don't correct in the "outbox" after sending. I understand that recipients see them correctly. Which can make typing web-link a bit tedious as they don't hyperlink underline in the normal way leaving me peering closely for a non-existent error.
Anybody else experienced this? 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Has Thunderbird laid an egg?

I'm using Thunderbird 18.0.1 and don't have the same problem.
Community Veteran

Correction!!!
Just been playing around with Thunderbird and I am getting part of the problem you stated.  I have just typed www.bbc.co.uk and I get red lines under the www, bbc and uk. I don't think I have had this before. Strange.  Undecided
Community Veteran

Did it work as a hyperlink?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@artmo, Try typing words of eight letters or more, it seems to effect only longer words, or at least I've not noticed it on shorter words.
Its very curious behaviour.

anniesboy
Grafter

Community Veteran

@Petlew, yes, worked as a hyperlink. The same problem is happening on this post.  As I type I am getting underlining of www.bbc.co.uk but as you say it is posted correctly.
Just typed a number of 8-12 letter words into Thunderbird and not seeing any underlining.
Community Veteran

@anniesboy, you've solved our problem for us thank you.  I have to say Mozillazine is brilliant whenever you give them a problem.  I've used them many times.
Community Veteran

Thank you anniesboy, Nice to know I'm not alone and there really is a bug.
I will await the imminent fix with interest.
@artmo, I notice from anniesboy's link that this affects Firefox as well although I've not had a problem there.
PS. bookmarked Mozillazine

Community Veteran

You will find a very comprehensive list of Firefox and Thunderbird sections on Mozillazine's index page.  Most of the queries are dealt with by mods who I have to say are extremely knowledgeable.  They are also very quick in getting back to you.
Community Veteran

I also noticed that Thunderbird now indulges in "silent background updates" so maybe we won't be told when its fixed.

Community Veteran

I noted that Thunderbird had an update applied automatically this morning. As the list of three or four updates flashed up at high-speed I think I noticed that one of items was "British Dictionary" but not what it was doing.
Time will tell if this is the fix.

Community Veteran

Both Thunderbird and Firefox updated to 16.0.2 this morning.  It doesn't appear to have corrected the problem you highlighted yesterday.  I use the US dictionary.
Community Veteran

deleted
Community Veteran

Having logged on to Mozillazine this morning it seems the bug (it was genuine) is fixed: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790475