cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has DNS been flaky recently?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Has DNS been flaky recently?

Over the past three or so weeks I've seen some intermittent DNS problems with the plusnet service.  The symptoms are we'll be browsing www or checking emails when without warning we can no longer see pages. If we ping remote numeric IP addresses (eg 8.8.8.8 ) we get a normal response, but anything such as www.ibm.com which requires a DNS lookup we cannot access.  If we leave things alone the service will resume. Sometimes rebooting the PN ADSL Router will clear it but not always. If I use an alternate ISP service I can invariably have untroubled access at that time.
I just wondered if this is a broader problem before I go down the route of detailed trouble shooting.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Has DNS been flaky recently?

There have been a number of threads recently reporting similar problems.
I've been experiencing this, have commented on it, and have set Google DNS locally in any device where I see problems to bypass the router DNS service.
The symptoms (for me) are typically slow or part-loaded web pages.
PS I do have a PN-supplied TG582N and have updated to the latest firmware.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

It has for me to, i have changed to using Google DNS
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Google in use on our router too with all networked devices using the router ip for their dns
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I've been using Google's DNS for a few years since having problems with PlusNet's.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It seems the general consensus is PN's DNS is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Or am I being too harsh? Perhaps they maintain stats on satisfied/unsatisfied DNS requests?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

On the contrary, i don't think it's harsh, i learnt years ago that plusnets DNS isn't overly reliable but thankfully as throughput goes, they are superior to BT (now - they didn't use to be).
Just set the router to use google (from memory it's 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.Cool and be done with it. Configure all your networked devices to use your router for DNS and your router will use googles dns. It's a far better setup.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Looks a bit slow 1.5 seconds.... I use these.