cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harry Potter - Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - and other films

Not applicable

Re: Harry Potter - Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - and other films

Went to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince last Saturday. Well, actually we went on the Wednesday when it was released but couldn't get in so I came home and booked on t'internet.
Anyway, it was much more grown up than the previous ones, as you would expect as all the lead stars are now older teenagers.
The film was a hasty jaunt through the book - great chunks of it were missed. However, the story just about hung together. Plenty of special effects (very well done) but actually there seemed to be less than in some of the other films. 
This time there were some funny bits and also some bittersweet parts - all about the angst of being a teenager and getting into relationships, which anyone can relate to (if we can remember).
Anyway, I did enjoy it and shall no doubt purchase it when it is released on DVD.
Community Veteran

I've been told - by a priest ! - that some significant parts have been left out that might make the next film difficult to explain, unless they do some flash backs with added scenes. Also additions that are not in the book ?.
I though JKR had retained editorial rights / control ?.

Loombucket
Grafter

Hello - my name is Loombucket and I'm a Harry Potter addict.
I don't care what others' opinions of the series are - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading every book and watching the first three films (haven't got round to seeing any more yet).  I'm 57 and don't care what others think - JKR's writing style is relaxing, idiomatic and natural making the whole series hugely enjoyable to read.
So there.
Wink
Not applicable

Loombucket - you'll get no argument from me - I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole series and age has got nothing to do with it.
Mal - the film did deviate from the book and it was a bit annoying.
For instance, at the beginning of the book, Harry met Dumbledore at the Dursley's, not in a Tube station.
The Weasley's house did not get burnt down by the Deatheaters - it couldn't have because it was very well protected by magic. The  house plays an important part in the last book as it opens there at Bill and Fleur's wedding.
The most important omission, IMO is that they give the task of hiding the Half Blood Prince's potions book (in the room of requirement) to Ginnie Weasley, and Harry is asked to close his eyes while she does it.
In the book Harry did this on his own, in haste, and it is very important as it is here that he sees the next to the last horcrux which is Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem. He doesn't realise it until the final chapters of the last book, and it is a pivotal moment.
They sacrificed the true story line to include a scene where Harry is alone with Ginnie and they kiss. I am surprised that JK Rowling did not at least have this changed.
Fixes: 301

Because she sold out  Lips are sealed

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Not applicable

Either that or she's been too busy flaunting her assets at various celebrity functions!  Roll eyes