cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harriet Harman has form

Fixes: 47

Harriet Harman has form

I loved that phrase on the news tonight "She has form" as she has been charged before with motoring offences.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8369371.stm
Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman is to be prosecuted over a minor car accident in her south London constituency in July.
She faces prosecution for allegedly driving without due care and attention and driving while using a mobile phone.

September 2007
Deputy Labour leader Harriet Harman is facing fresh embarrassment after being caught speeding - for the second time.
Ms Harman last night said she had "pleaded guilty by post" to avoid a court appearance next week.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Harriet Harman has form

Poor old Hattie Smiley  Hope she gets sent down.  She's an arrogant woman.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I see his Lordship, the Conservative Leader of your county council is also in possible trouble with the Police
Fixes: 47

Most of them should be Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I see his Lordship, the Conservative Leader of your county council is also in possible trouble with the Police

Your County Council leader as well I think PP unless you've moved Wink
Community Veteran

I quite like Harriet Harman, why should anyone wish that she has to go to prison because of a minor driving bump?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your County Council leader as well I think PP unless you've moved
  But I dont like him
Community Veteran

I bet he's not too fond of you either Wink Wink
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Santiago
I quite like Harriet Harman, why should anyone wish that she has to go to prison because of a minor driving bump?

Because we've become used to the arrogance of the political class with their "do as we say, not as we do" attitude.  It's ok for them to fiddle expenses and con the taxman, but not us, its ok for them to attack someone for throwing an egg at them, but not us, its ok for them to smoke in their place of work, but not us.  Harman is of the opinion that she is "above the common people" with her "i'm Harriet Harman, you know where you can find me" response after causing an accident.  Normal people after an accident *have* to stop, give details, maybe wait for the police, she drove off as if the laws of the land do not apply to her.  2 speeding offences, she already has 6 points on her licence, driving without due care, using a mobile phone, a "normal" person would get at *least* 6 points on their licence for this, taking them to 12 and an automatic ban, it'll be interesting to see if Harman worms her way out of it and avoids losing her licence.
Community Veteran

I have to agree with you there.  She thinks she is above the ordinary people that elected her.  Always condescending and talking down to everyone.
Community Veteran

Rather like a certain MP I once had - St John Stevas  - arrogate guy he was too..........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_St_John-Stevas,_Baron_St_John_of_Fawsley
He was Chairman of the Royal Fine Art Commission from 1985 to 1999, which was wracked by controversy. It was hoped that his appointment would revitalise and popularise the commission. Instead, the commission became a mouth piece for Lord St John's own views and preferences (most prominently in the annual Building of the Year award). Lord St John adorned his office with painting from national collections, documents were presented in red boxes and he was served by a chauffeur and ex-civil servants, in accommodation more lavish than that of most secretaries of state: prompting one commentator to comment that "...if he cannot have power, he must have the trappings". This was all criticised in a savage government review by Sir Geoffrey Chipperfield.[1]
His tenure as master of Emmanuel College, Cambridge (1991 to 1996) was equally controversial. He built a new conference centre (the Queen's Building) at the cost of some £8 million, the costs of which were pushed upwards by Lord St John's insistence on re-opening the quarry in Ketton, Rutland to obtain limestone from the same source from which the college's Wren chapel was built.[2] Lord St John maintains his links with Emmanuel, which he uses from time to time as a venue for events of the Royal Fine Art Commission.[3]
[edit
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, with her background, I am almost certain she will "get off".... she has had an "interesting" political career, based on her solicitors training, and won some pretty high profile cases in court... as well as rising to Justice Minister,
an interesting "one page" history is here....
http://www.harrietharman.org/about_harriet
No, I am not a fan of hers. !  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No, no, no this doesn't sound right. A member of the government being prosecuted for breaking the law? What ever next?!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Santiago
I quite like Harriet Harman

Well somebody has to I suppose.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Unless I'm wrong it's 3 points for phone + 9 points for due care and attention. That suggests she'll get automatic ban and have to use her official car where possible.
Just amazes me how we mere mortals can afford hands-free kit and these well paid people can't.