cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hardware

Based on your own personal experience is the computer hardware you buy today as reliable as the hardware you purchased for home computing years ago.?
I'm excluding the very early hardware that came with the BBC micro, Amiga and similar computers and thinking more about the more modern range of computers.
As the term hardware refers to a vast range of items please be specific about the items and makes being compared.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Hardware

Well I suppose in broad terms yes they are more reliable. This HP G7000 laptop I'm using here is at least four years old and may be more than that, apart from adding extra RAM and replacing the DVD disc drive (not HP, Sony I think) Its left on more most of the waking day (not always being used) and seems to be just as reliable (if a little slower) as it was when first switched on.
Four years may not seem too much for an appliance but from previous PC experience leans towards quite long-lived for a computer.
Generally, the least reliable hardware I've had problems with have been printers
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think my Dell Precision 690 was first registered in 1997 ( I got it second hand) and is still belting along. I also have a home built desktop running XP which is now about 12 years old. It gets used about once every Preston Guild! But, it is still functional!
My Dell has had just about everything replaced or extended - extra processor added, memory increased, graphics card replaced, all drives replaced, USB3 & Sata6 added.
My printer was replaced recently. Not because the old one was naff, but because it kept getting paper jams. I got a new AiO ePrinter for about £80. My first colour printer cost £270!
I still have an Omega cartridge drive but CD-Roms replaced that. My first CD writer worked at 3 times normal speed and cost £275! My first scanner was a triple pass (one pass per primary colour) and cost a similar amount!
The only thing I have that is old and still in use as supplied is my 24" Dell monitor and a Dell sound system included with a Dell laptop about 10 years ago!
Hardware seems get superseded these days by the need for speed or greater capacity.
And I still have my 48k ZX Spectrum somewhere in the loft!
Geoff,
York.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

My first home computer was a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo-D 7830 laptop bought in 2003. Using it daily I had no problems at all until the power supply failed after 8 years. I decided that it was not worth spending £70 or so replacing that.
thejudge
Grafter

Much of a muchness for me. Leaving aside keyboards, these are the hardware failures I've had:
Machine 1 - built to spec by local firm in June 2001: CPU fan after about 3 years, CRT monitor after about 5.5 years.
Machine 2 - built to spec by (different) local firm in November 2007: PSU failed after just over 4.5 years. Suspect mobo will follow before long.
Machine 3 - built to spec by (yet another) local firm in November 2012: nothing yet.
What's more interesting is the way prices have come down. Machine 1 was Win98SE, 800MHz Duron, 20Gb HDD and 128Mb RAM and cost £960 with all peripherals. Machine 2 was XP Pro, 4.2GHz Athlon, 250Gb HDD and 2MB RAM and cost about £850 with all peripherals. I can't make a comparison with Machine 3 because that was just the tower unit, but that was about £640 if I recall correctly.