cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard wiring a dash cam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hard wiring a dash cam

A short time ago due to being lazy I purchased a cigarette lighter adaptor for the car so I could use a sat nav and a dash cam at the same time, made sure it had a high rating as a previous one failed to work.

This new one worked ok.......for about 1 hour and then packed up for good so I now discover that it's possible to get car fuse box holders include a piggy back adaptor allowing an additional wire with a separate fuse to replace one of the car fuses that is live when the iginition is switched on, such as wipers, electric windows etc.

These things only cost a few pounds, wish I had known about them before, so that's added to my list of to do things.

Plenty of you tube videos on hard wiring a dash cam if anyone else is interested in doing it.

17 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Hard wiring a dash cam

Cigarette lighter in cars, what's one of those? I thought they had all be renamed power points or something similar!

Seriously though, that's a good tip as those adaptors really are not much use. As it happens our little Fiesta still had it's ciggy lighter - until one of the grandchildren clocked it, pushed it down and the damn thing just flew out when it got red hot.  

Blimey O'Reilly and panic all round.Shocked

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the adaptors are fine if you buy a quality one, and that will usually mean you'll be spending more than just a few pounds on one.

i bought an AUKEY Car Charger 4.8A / 24W Dual USB Adapter.
it will cost you around £15 though, which is more than what most people seem to be willing to spend (which is crazy really when you are essentially plugging a £300-£400 phone into a cheap chinese knock off adaptor!).
Minivanman
Hero

..... and if the socket is rubbish?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

why would the socket be rubbish?
it either supplies 12v or it doesn't.
Minivanman
Hero

Because they become slack after a few years use?

You must have experienced that, surely. Wink 

Community Veteran

don't know what you've been doing with yours, but once the usb adaptor was put in it's remained there, i have no need to keep taking it out.
the one i bought is also a tight fit and sits flush so there is no movement at all.
Minivanman
Hero

Ah well, mine was before the days of usb's in cars.

I had one of these for my mobile, my meter, and my sat nav - so no wonder it got slack! I also had a small rechargeable solder iron, but there was no more room and no, I'm not kidding!

$_58.JPG

Community Veteran

The annoying bit in hardwiring is the long cable running from your car to your switch/router back at the house.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

I'm not suggesting any incompetence here, but if you botched up the wiring and it overheated and caught fire, would your insurance company have a case. 

Back in my early "I can do that" days, I hard wired a friends eight track player (well I did say early days) into his car and narrowly avoided seeing it go up in flames as the cable overheated. We laugh about it now but boy was he mad at the time! 

Community Veteran

well you do have to declare any modifications, and i would think that modifications to the electrical wiring would be something they'd take note of.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Minivanman that's what fuses are for.
The wiring to a dash cam will take way less than 1A, so a 5A cable (pretty standard) fed via a 1-3A fuse in the fusebox and you are protected.
I've wired many of these over the years, including a remote controlled central locking/alarm box to my old focus (which had central locking but not remote) (which I also did a how to on the ford use forums). My main reason for that was my hatch lock wouldn't open via key, so I had to open the door and press the button to get the dog into the boot, well worth the hour I spent wiring it up.

Unless your accident is fire related then I don't see what the problem will be with insurance the one claim I have made recently never mentioned it.
Community Veteran

I guess I should have notified my insurance when I wired in the flux capacitor?

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:
Unless your accident is fire related then I don't see what the problem will be with insurance the one claim I have made recently never mentioned it.

indeed there shouldn't be a problem, but you know what insurance companies are like. they will look for any reason to not pay out.

Minivanman
Hero

And technically they would be right I guess, so don't tell 'em Pike!