cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard of hearing?

Community Veteran

Hard of hearing?

I encountered a conundrum at the weekend.
My Dad's hearing is pretty poor (don't get me started on his aversion to an aid) whilst Mums hearing is perfect. Typical woman, she can hear a £20 note drop from 100ft.
Anyway. I worked out that Dad could use wireless headphones whilst watching TV and that would solve the problem. However it created another. If he does that, Mum cant hear as it switches off the external, built in, speakers. She doesn't want to use headphones cause then no-one in the house would hear anything such as the phone.
So whats my solution? How can I use headphones and the external speakers at the same time. I guess buying a freestanding set of speakers would be the easy option but Mum wont have the "clutter". Guess my plan is sort of screwed unless one of you guys know of a solution?
Don't suggest a hearing aid. We've had 4, from NHS specials to expensive privately bought models. 1 ended up in the loo (don't ask) and the others consigned to a drawer.
Any thoughts?
Mark
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Hard of hearing?

I suppose the first question is which TV has he got and is there a manual - I know us real men don't read things like that but you never know  Grin
You should be able to get the output to the headphones from the scart socket - there are loads of them about - which will solve the problem
http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/scart-plug-to-scart-socket-with-35mm-stereo-socket.htm...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a Sharp LCD TV, that via the menu lets you have TV speakers and Headphones at the same time, but HiFi output cuts the tV, I have got headphone on it Wireless type, will have a look tomorrow
Community Veteran

Cool. theirs is a Sharp LCD too so that will be useful.
Unfortunately the tv and manual is in Belfast and I'm in sunny Sheffield but maybe I can dig out an online version Smiley
Sounds promising.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! tricky. I also am rather hard of hearing, being almost deaf in my left ear, which makes me hearing-wise somewhat one-sided. I noticed that you mentioned hearing aid, as opposed to aids in the plural. It might just mean a simple change of viewing/listening position in the room will ease the problem, should your Dad be likewise afflicted.
Also of course, depending on what kind of TV service you receive, many programmes are available with sub-titles, although I must admit personally I don't like them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Audio_Connectors/Scart_adaptors.htm
You want a SCART audio breakout at £3.52
jmd
Grafter

Have a look at the RNID website shop - they have various things you can use with TV etc and am sure there is something you can use without interfering with the other person's listening.
I too am hard of hearing and do not use hearing aids [again have them though!] and manage with subtitles when it is an action film or similar!  Fortunately my Loew TV has very good sound so manage quite well.
itsme
Grafter

Friends that I have with hearing problems are impressed with the induction loop system but as the OP father is reluctant to wear an hearing aid this system may not be an option.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mark did you solve the problem?