cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard life of a Snooker pundit

Fixes: 47

Hard life of a Snooker pundit

I walked through the Winter Gardens here in Sheffield on my way to my bus a couple of hours ago.
There was poor John Parrot sitting all alone in a chair with his feet on the table with his eyes closed.
If I didn't have my hands full I would have taken a photo.
One day I will buy a ticket and go see a game.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Fixes: 124

Re: Hard life of a Snooker pundit

Quote from: Strat
One day I will buy a ticket and go see a game.

Don't bother.
I had tickets to the Masters back in 2008. Although I realise the atmosphere probably wouldn't have been as exciting as the World Snooker Championship, it the overall tone was pretty good and we managed to have a few words with John Parrot and Steve Davis while they did some exhibition stuff. But the actually watching I found quite dull and uninteresting. Stuck in one position there were many times an armchair view using the camera above would have been beneficial plus the chance to get up and stretch my legs would have been good.
I suppose I'm glad I went for the experience but never again - not even to a final Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

I suppose I just want to go for the experience after watching a lot of it on TV over the years....and before the bean counters move it to a bigger venue.
I've met people in Canada who were amazed that, living in Sheffield I hadn't gone to the crucible.....just never got around to it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Many years ago, my wife was due to go into hospital for female only surgery. She bought me a ticket to a World Snooker match for her first night in, this was in the days it was held at Wembley Arena. I don't recall the names of both players but one was Cliff Thurborn, reckoned to be one of the slowest players ever to play the game professionally.
I've never admitted this to Mrs Petlew but it was awful, my seat was a long way back, the rake of the seating was inadequate, so the view was mostly the back of the head of the person in front, when a gap appeared the distance to the table gave a postage stamp sized view. I was also sat next to the worlds largest woman (or it seemed like it) who not only wanted most of my seat as well but to express no finer point had a personal problem with soap and water (she didn't use it) everybody around her was leaning as far as they could away from her.
I stood Cliff Thurborn's time wasting and my next-door neighbours aroma for about three quarters of an hour, I then up and left for some fresh air, but resolved that I'd actually had enough and went home...never again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

The advantage to the game of the Sheffield Crucible is it's size as it's a theatre rather than an arena.
The audience like it and so do the players as the atmosphere is very good and personal....I have been to the Crucible to watch a play.
Sadly to the bean counters the size of the Crucible is a great disadvantage in terms of ticket sales.
TORPC
Grafter

The atmosphere is far better live in person as opposed to watching on TV
My only advice Do not make the same mistake as I & turn off you phone Wink

I most certainly would as I've seen the dirty looks a person gets if their phone rings.
Community Veteran

The most interesting snooker I remember seeing on the telly was doubles and mixed doubles.
It was funny. The glares, things going wrong, and laughs.
Shame it was only short lived.
Community Veteran

I enjoyed Pot Black when it was shown.
Remind me, were not the first few of the series broadcast in black and white giving the commentators quite a problem? not to mention the viewers of course.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
TORPC
Grafter
Community Veteran

Petlew, that was probably terry griffiths against cliff thorburn; the two slowest players in the game.  i recall one awkward shot cliff thorburn spent five minutes assessing - it was difficult - and at the end he potted the ball.  during one of their matches, one could trot off to the kitchen, knock up a three course meal and be back to chow down with hardly missing a thing.  one frame may have gone by.
Infinity
Pro

As an Outside Broadcast Sound Supervisor, covering live Snooker Matches, it was very frustrating that for quite a long time, the Video Monitor in the Sound Section of the OB Vehicle was in Black & White !!!
And depending on the vehicle, you also couldn't see the main Production Colour monitors either.
Also, one company decided to save money by not fully enclosing the Commentary box, as is modern practise, it was just open scaffolding with a black drape.
You can imagine the uproar this caused.
Even with the Comentators whispering, the Commentary position was very close to the action.
It was changed overnight.....
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
I enjoyed Pot Black when it was shown.
Remind me, were not the first few of the series broadcast in black and white giving the commentators quite a problem? not to mention the viewers of course.

If you watched 50 years of BBC2 sport you would know the answer. Pot black was only broadcast in colour but at a time when b&w TVs probably outnumbered colour sets.
Community Veteran

Ah yes! of course itsme. No I didn't see the 50 Years of Sport. Apt to forget that early colour was mostly watched by viewers with B&W sets, with the most used phrase on TV being "for those of you with black and white televisions"

TORPC
Grafter

I remember how confusing it was, when I was a wee lad no higher than a grasshopper,
when watching a colour TV & the commentators making references to the colours of the balls