cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Water - Again!

Community Veteran

Hard Water - Again!

Having a new kitchen installed shortly. In a conversation with the surveyor I was recommended to get a limefighter because of my hard water. I understand they work on magnetics and certainly are a lot cheaper than a water softener.
Has anyone got one of these fitted and if so do they work?
I have found plenty of sites selling the devices but can't find any independent reviews.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Hard Water - Again!

I installed one ages ago
It doesn't totally solve the problem but it certainly reduces it
For example the shower head scaling up was much less of a problem
This isn't the one I bought but it works on the same principle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ideas-Magnetic-Conditioner-670-Limescale/dp/B0019MHGLY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&i...
Community Veteran

Jim, thank you. That's the info I was looking for. I believe the limefighter is inserted into the actual pipe. Not too sure about this but I will now have a chat with my plumber.
Do you have a conventional water softener as well or not?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if by limefighter you mean something on this page https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=limefighter&tbm=shop then yes its an inline system
they work pretty well and if you get the more expensive version with push fitting then you can DIY change them every few years as required by just turning off the two flow valves and unclipping them without any mess or need for a plumber every time Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

No I don't have a conventional water softener
I must admit to be puzzled about the requirement to change them as a decent permanent magnet should last for ever
Mine has been in for a very long time - possibly over 20 years - and still works
Community Veteran

Well I'm not hearing anything negative about the devices and they are so much cheaper than conventional water softeners, and they don't need the space of a water softener. I'm going to give one a go. Will have it fitted before the kitchen arrives. Thank you everyone Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In Old Jim's Amazon link the 4th customer review down "No Wizardry" (new reviews may move its position) attempts an explanation of how it works. Whether this is a case of bull****-baffles-brains or a genuine thesis is up to you to decide, but the reviewer goes on to give it 5 stars.
I remember many years ago seeing advertised in newspapers a similar (or maybe the same) device described as "Osmosis" or possibly "reverse Osmosis" that was supposed to be the end of all hard water problems. A much longer device that also fitted around the outside of water pipes. A good deal more expensive as well if I recall. I believe some new build houses were fitted with them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Reverse osmosis definitely works to remove impurities from water. They use the technique to desalinate sea water in those places where they have a shortage of fresh water and cheap electricity. Eg the Middle East oil countries.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
sjptd
Grafter

From what I have read people have widely varied experiences with the magnetic water treatment; for some it works wonders and for others it makes very little difference.
For example a plumber's comment on Amazon
Strangely two different manufacturers (not this one) told me exact same story.
In trial runs they observed that they could put these in two houses that were neighbours, and in one house it would work, and in the other it wouldn't.
When pressed for an answer to this anomaly, they both shrugged their shoulders with no answer, I think there is an answer but who's gonna do the research to find out? It must be to do with proximity to the appliance it needs to protect or something like that.

I'd be interested in any further experiences; it might be just the thing for our son's flat.
We've recently replaced a conventional (Kinetico) water softener after around 20 years with another similar one (Harveys).
Expensive at around £700.  Huge benefits in water for washing and savings (trivial?) on soap etc, and saving on furred pipes/kettles/boilers etc.  To me hard water tastes better for drinking.
Despite exaggerated claims you often see, I don't think it pays for itself in strict economic terms, but we still decided it was worth replacing.
Of course replacing does not involve any significant plumbing, but original installation did.
nanotm
Pro

the supply pressure would change the effectiveness of the device(s) as would close proximity of electrical systems, ideally you wouldn't put a magnet within 3 feet of a washing machine due to the motor kicking off a large EM field when its operating
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I have a conventional water softener, it works and I know how it works.
The difference after you fit it is amazing.  Cool
We have a separate hard water tap for drinking water as it tastes better.
I have never read a plausible scientific explanation of these magnetic devices or met anyone who really noticed a difference after fitting one.
So I think they are a total waste of money.
It doesn't matter that they are cheaper; if they do nothing it's 100% wasted expenditure.  Crazy