cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy to still be here

Fixes: 47

Happy to still be here

I was driving from my daughter's to my sister's.
I had to go around 3/4 of a large roundabout.
There was one other car on the roundabout.
As I passed the A61 entry point onto the roundabout I saw an ambulance with blues and twos on coming down.
I continued round and glanced in my mirror to see the ambulance leaving the roundabout at the next exit.
Unfortunately the other car on the roundabout had just come to a stop after hearing the siren.
I had to swerve as the other car came into view, fortunately there was nothing on my left.
It was an unfortunate set of circumstances but normally I don't expect a driver to stop on a traffic island.
Edit: Google map of the traffic island
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Happy to still be here

I have seen drivers KEEP the ambulance behind them while it is in full on mode. I have also seen other drivers attempt to overtake me as I pull over to let the ambulance past (while it is still several car lengths behind me).
I was approaching a roundabout last week, heard the tones, searched for the ambulance before entering the roundabout, but never had anyone stop in front of me, that is just stupid driving.
itsme
Grafter

Traffic island or roundabout?
If you are northern it's an island if you're southern it's a roundabout.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

it's a roundabout here and i'm pretty sure i'm further north than you.
i really amazes how a particular breed of driver simply don't know how to react when they hear or see blue flashing lights behind them.
you get the idiots that simply stop and block the road.
you get the idiots that swerve all over the place.
you get the idiots that do nothing and keep toddling on their way.
then you have the people that know how to deal with it by looking at their surrounding and making the correct decision.
the correct decision might be to continue on for a short period then pull over, or it could be to pull over straight away.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If there had been a collision, you would probably be blameless ( after much wrangling with insurance companies) as the highway code says;
Emergency and incident support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

Quote from: itsme

I used 'roundabout' quite a lot in my opening post so used 'traffic island' as a change.
As far as I'm concerned they are one and the same thing.
I'm often told that Sheffield is in the Midlands so both can apply.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sheffield is in Yokshu......
Derby and Nottingham are in the Midlands....  Cheesy

Indeed it is shutter but as I live 200 metres from the Derbyshire border, people get confused...poor souls Wink
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Depends upon which bit of Derbyshire you are in whether it is North or just the Midlands.
BTW Islands in London are often called Circuses!

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

I used 'roundabout' quite a lot in my opening post so used 'traffic island' as a change.
As far as I'm concerned they are one and the same thing.
I'm often told that Sheffield is in the Midlands so both can apply.

They are not the same. A search seem to suggest that in the midlands they don't know they are different. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I live 200 metres from the Derbyshire border,..

Do you find the lights on the border fence watchtowers keep you awake at night?
I lived and drove in London for 30 years before moving up to Derbyshire a couple of years ago. The local drivers around here are hopeless at using junctions/roundabouts. I felt the need to invest in a dashcam.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I think I am more North than most folks here, and we call them roundabouts.
Quote from: AlaricAdair
The local drivers around here are hopeless at using junctions/roundabouts. I felt the need to invest in a dashcam.

Well round here they are notorious for NOT following traffic signals in car parks, you know the ones that say GO THIS WAY or NO ENTRY or ONE WAY. They just ignore them if they think they/see a space, that and cutting blind junctions, or cutting even when they see you coming.
At the end of my road is a Give Way, I think it should be a STOP, as it is a Tee-junction at the bottom of a hill, with the lhs a one way, and the rhs 2 way, from my road you CAN'T see up the hill, but they blindly cut the bottom of the junction off often in-front of me or a bus etc. And coming down they don't stop at the give way, just swing round it, against traffic from the one way has priority (leading for a school) into oncoming traffic cutting the bottom, I am amazed that there hasn't been more accidents.
nanotm
Pro

where I grew up the roads were narrow with high hedges and all the t junctions were blind often in both directions and poorly singed regardless, in the night time you could see approaching vehicles by the headlights without too much problem and many local drivers knowing the roads and the route they were taking would go like the clappers all the time day or night, rarely stopping to check for oncoming traffic and yet there were less accidents than in recent years after junction widening works have taken place (because some road traffic planner had an near miss), the strange thing is that 20+ years ago the most accident heavy road was a raised long straight stretch (about a mile) where frequently people would roll their cars or drive off the edge into a ditch, yet rarely did anyone have more than a minor scrape on the sides of the narrow windy lanes, the worst accident I can remember was a moped rider missing for 3 days had somehow left the road and dropped into the ditch (without leaving a tail on undergrowth) and ended up hidden but very definitely dead, (an inquest was unable to determine why) he was found because of the smell by a couple of kids, accident investigators couldn't work out how he had gotten into the ditch and under the brambles without leaving any sign of moving though them.....
after more than 100 accidents in a 2 year period they planted a big hedgerow along that road and since then its had 100 accidents in 20 years which is about the same rate as all the narrow high sides roads around it ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
BTW Islands in London are often called Circuses!
That's because London's full of Clowns.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

They are not the same.

Ok...a traffic island is this

This is a roundabout