cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy to still be here, 2

Fixes: 125

Happy to still be here, 2

Yesterday I was walking along minding my own business when an electric car came up from behind me just at a spot where I had to step into the road as there was an obstruction in my way. I did have a quick glance first but saw and heard nothing. Seemingly out of no where this car passed very close and very silently by.
I think if I had moved just a few more inches further to my right there would have been an impact.
We've had a similar discussion some time ago that some sort of audible sound should emanate from these vehicles, but what should it be?
Maybe the sound of a car engine  Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Happy to still be here, 2

sounds like you were at fault for not properly observing the road before stepping out.
you had a "quick glance" which was clearly not sufficient.
what if it was a cyclist rather than an electric car. should cyclists also make the sound of an engine?
Community Veteran

We all have a lot of learned behaviours that work effectively. Using hearing as an adjunct to the other senses when walking/riding/driving is part of the picture.
I suspect all road users will have to relearn old habits to cater for near-silent vehicles; and don't cite milk floats, they are as noisy as hell!  Grin
I think that drivers of such vehicles will also need retraining to allow for the fact that their presence will not be noticed, so different driving techniques will be needed. Somehow I doubt that the makers will bother with that.  Cry
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some "normal" cars already have sound generators to feed a more sporty engine noise into the cabin through the sound system, Why not have something similar for electric cars with loudspeakers in the engine bay? I would go for the sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin; should clear the road some way ahead  Smiley
Community Veteran

the green cross code tells us to STOP, LOOK and LISTEN.
Listen being the third on the list behind the 2 most important ones, being STOP and LOOK.
Proving you continue to STOP and LOOK then an electric car should pose no problems.
itsme
Grafter

I've just done a risk assessment and conclusion is audible warning should be fitted to electric vehicles.  Cheesy
I been to ski resorts where electric vehicles only are allowed (Zermatt) they have recognised it as a problem and do fit an audible warning.
Community Veteran

do cyclists have the same imposed on them? after-all they are also silent.
audible noises really are pandering to the lowest common denominator.
if you have STOPPED and LOOKED both ways (several times remember as it said you should do), then it shouldn't matter if the vehicle is silent or has a loud speaker on the top. you'll see it and make the decision not to cross (or step out on to) the road.
one has to wonder how the deaf have managed to cope since the invention of the motorised vehicle.
itsme
Grafter

Cyclists on roads?
Why have seatbelts and airbags fitted in cars? If everyone drive how it's specified in the highway code they will not be needed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: itsme
I've just done a risk assessment and conclusion is audible warning should be fitted to electric vehicles.  Cheesy

I f you did a risk assessment you'd also conclude that pedestrians need Hi-viz jackets and hard hats if walking near a road.
It will also have to manditory that old codgers with hearing aids have them switched on and turned up so they can hear the artificially generated noise of electric cars if walking near roads.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Cyclists on roads?

yes, you know, where they are supposed to be?
Why have seatbelts and airbags fitted in cars? If everyone drive how it's specified in the highway code they will not be needed

accidents can happen due to mechanical failure.
they can also happen when people walk out in to the road and get hit by a car that makes a noise due to its engine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: HPsauce

I suspect all road users will have to relearn old habits to cater for near-silent vehicles; and don't cite milk floats, they are as noisy as hell!  Grin

Because vibrations caused by the road surfacte knocks the milk bottles together in their crates ! ! !    Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
Yesterday I was walking along minding my own business when an electric car came up from behind me just at a spot where I had to step into the road as there was an obstruction in my way. I did have a quick glance first but saw and heard nothing. Seemingly out of no where this car passed very close and very silently by.
I think if I had moved just a few more inches further to my right there would have been an impact.
We've had a similar discussion some time ago that some sort of audible sound should emanate from these vehicles, but what should it be?
Maybe the sound of a car engine  Crazy
Would it be true to say it gave you a bit of a ,'shock' ?
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

or an electrifying experience  Shocked