cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy new year....

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Happy new year....

Well I stayed up glass in hand and party hat on watching the fireworks on television and listening to those bongs from Big Ben.

Tears in my eyes... well almost. 

Usual negative reporting from the BBC this morning biased on the bad for Britain and not really concerned about the good but there you go, since when did good news 'sell papers'. "Disruption for lorry drivers" said the reporter 'live from Calais' failing to notice as I did that the first three lorries to come off the ferry ramp behind him were all left had drive.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Happy New Year everyone, hope 2021 will be a much better year for us all...

Aspiring Legend

So who if any here have made a new years resolution?

I could do with losing a few stone... but the Mrs refuses to give me an easy divorce!

Only kidding, she's lovely really. 😀   

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 56

Never bother with them, @Minivanman , the willpower to keep them is never there - but I'm so good, I don't need to bother.🤣

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

@Minivanman wrote:

Usual negative reporting from the BBC this morning biased on the bad for Britain and not really concerned about the good but there you go, since when did good news 'sell papers'. "Disruption for lorry drivers" said the reporter 'live from Calais' failing to notice as I did that the first three lorries to come off the ferry ramp behind him were all left had drive.  

Obviously, whoever the news editor was, and whoever the reporter was... did not get their copy of the DAILY MAIL ....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9104025/Moment-EuroTunnel-officials-welcome-lorry-Britain-a...

quote from that page....

Lorries have began arriving from EU into Britain and in the other direction with no delays as trade deal kicks in

The first lorry leaving the UK, a Stobart truck driven by Slavi Ivanov Shumeykov, arrived into France at just after midnight UK time while an Estonian trucker arrived in Britain from the EU at around the same time.

The smooth transitions at each border came despite Remainers claiming there would be carnage when the clock struck 12am.

The first ferries between Calais and Dover and the UK and Ireland have also arrived with no delays as Britain finally broke free from EU rules at 11pm on Thursday,

Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 50

Happy new year everyone and best wishes for 2021.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

I could do with losing a few stone... but the Mrs refuses to give me an easy divorce! 

@jab1 wrote:

Never bother with them, @Minivanman , the willpower to keep them is never there - but I'm so good, I don't need to bother.🤣

@jab1 

Resolutions?

Or wives?

Undecided  Cheesy

Seasoned Hero

Sadly 😞 @RobPN , resolutions. Never had a wife, but I do have a significant other.Wink

John
Hero
Fixes: 9

Does anyone ever describe anyone as an insignificant other?  It's a bit like untimely deaths and people sadly dying; is there any other way?  No-one ever said, "He died such a timely death."

Yes, the media are scraping the barrel trying to find the negatives with Brexit but seem to be having a hard time.  What many seem to forget is that all went smoothly before we joined the EEC, and in those days we didn't have advanced computer systems.  Nowadays you can set everything up so that the computer completes the various documents (invoice, delivery note, customs declaration, unnecessary form they ask for just because they can etc.) from the same data input so very little extra work is required.

Aspiring Legend

Before during and now after the EEC, the EU and now post Brexit it is always confusing when travelling overseas and not boasting sorry, but I've travelled over and back more time that I can count over the years and although the tunnel has been the easiest, you still need your wits about you when arriving and departing whatever method you use.

It will not be easier after Brexit... but then it wasn't exactly easy before either.   

On the flip side and taking your point @Jonpe the Irish press are reporting that six lorries were turned back from Holyhead failing to mention of course just how many that were not! 

Six trucks out of a total of what, at least one hundred?

Sound good t'me.  

Seasoned Hero

@Jonpe My description of my 'other half' is intentional, but I'm not explaining why on an open forum.Smiley

I totally agree with your second paragraph, however - a brilliant concise description of why those who moan about 'extra paperwork' are whistling in the dark. It wouldn't surprise me if all this guff couldn't be converted to a QR code on an A5 sheet - given time.

John
Seasoned Champion

I see that a organisation called rejoin is offering everyone a eu identity card for eu associate membership for those who want to pretend they are still in the eu!!!CrazyCrazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman wrote:

I always do and have no trouble sticking to them.

My resolution this year is to eat and drink more of what I like and to do less exercise.

Aspiring Pro

My cat’s New Year’s resolution is to continue staring at nothing….

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

My sisters 3 will be to continue knocking the cat flap out the wall (they just charge through it).

Eat and enjoy themselves, maybe have the neighbours cat come round who will arrive for a second course of lunch or dinner (or both).

BAU round her way. 😀