Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy New Year 2013 - BT Charges Increase

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Happy New Year 2013 - BT Charges Increase

Other service providers will no doubt follow suit shortly after.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2012/08/bt-hikes-prices-for-millions
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Happy New Year 2013 - BT Charges Increase

I'm relieved for the PN staff. I'm sure the extra 6% will work through their annual pay  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
kdoug007
Grafter

alanf ,,  " im sure other providers wil follow    suite.."
  hey alan  KEEP  QUITE  M8!!!  SHHHHHHH
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Everything goes up each year whats new Tongue
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
alanf
Aspiring Pro

BT fourth set of rises in just over two years!
Community Veteran

I've just compared my BT line rental in 2007 (5 years ago) with the latest bill. The average annual increase during that period, excluding VAT, by BT was 9.3%  I don't have comparable figures from PN.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
David_W
Rising Star

Luckily the world is supposed to end this year (so not much longer left!) so the BT price increases may not take effect - unless of course the world doesn't end, not sure which to root for though  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: David
Luckily the world is supposed to end this yea

I thought that was 2k or 2k1 ??If so we have all been dead for the last 10+ years.
JamesM
Grafter

Supposed to be December 2012,  but the Mayans just ran out of stuff to write on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The "line rental" is essentially a broadband tax.
I wonder how many people would still have a landline, if having one for broadband was optional?
itsme
Grafter

Me for one. Been looking for years to dump the landline but even VirginMedia will charge line rental if you take the phone or not.
thejudge
Grafter

What bugs me is that they offer their customers a 'choice' in how to pay the bill, but if you exercise that 'choice' in a way they don't like (in other words, if you don't pay by DD), they land you with an extra £5-6 per quarter as a 'payment processing charge'.
1) It should not cost £5+ to process any payment, least of all one made online. If it does, then they don't know how to run a business properly (no surprise there),
2) When complained to, BT claim that it's not their fault, but that of a 'completely separate company'. Yes, a 'completely separate company' called 'BT Payment Services', which is a wholly-owned tax-dodge...sorry, I meant 'subsidiary' of.....BT.
Unfortunately, the spineless regulator has refused to do anything about it, and even legal challenges in court have failed.
It's a freaking rip-off all the same.  Angry
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
The "line rental" is essentially a broadband tax.
I wonder how many people would still have a landline, if having one for broadband was optional?

Naked DSL is not allowed by OFCOM in the UK (no voice phone service/rental charge).
Yes it is a broadband tax - or in rather it is a cross subsidy from the phone service line rental charge for upgrading broadband.
Given that there more total telephone lines in the UK than broadband activated telephone lines this x-subsidy is quite considerable.
If naked DSL was permitted, users dumped the voice service and and then faced paying the full cost of broadband faults and line repairs plus upgrading the equipment your broadband service cost would soar......and my, would the complaints start then!
So you can see why it has been arranged this way - to hide the true cost of broadband from the users and spread the cost more widely thereby keeping BB charges down and encouraging takeup.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: David
Luckily the world is supposed to end this year

Damn, I did wonder if there might be a downside to Plusnet's Line Rental Saver, I'll not be too chuffed if I've paid upfront for nothing
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Don't worry you'll get a refund on the day.......but it might take 5 end-of-the-world days to appear in your account.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation